aylasevim is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

How to Connect to ASPHostPortal.com sql server with management studio

I would like to know how to create a subdomain that is a link to an SQL Server database. I have Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008. I have a static IP on the Windows server, and I have a domain at asphostportal.com with the A host record pointing to the static IP.

I can successfully establish a remote connection to the SQL Server instance through SQL Server Management Studio. But I have to use the www.bestcloudhostingasp.net instead of something like sqldbmain.mydomain.com, which is what I would prefer to use.

For another example, if I create a SQL database at some web host like asphostportal.com they give me an external link to my DB like sqldb1234.db.bestcloudhostingasp.net. That is what I'm trying to replicate.

I'm not sure whether this is something that has to be managed through IIS on the Windows server, through the domain management at ASPHostPortal, or through SQL Server management, or even a little bit of all of them.
    EDIT

For clarification, I'm accessing the database through SQL Server Management studio. In the field where it asks for the "Server Name" is where I enter www.bestcloudhostingasp.net, but I would like to enter the value similar to sqldb1234.db.mydomain.com.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would get with bestcloudhosting (I think I understand that these guys are hosing your virtual network) and ask them if they can associate a CNAME to your Server's static IP/Endpoint. I am going to guess you will need to create a CNAME with asphostportal (I guess these guys are the Domain Name registrar).

Talk to the folks hosting the virtual network and let them know who you registrar is. It is likely they will know if the registrar offers the ability to create a CNAME. They will probably even have a little tutorial.

That is how I have done it. The people hosting the hardware use the CNAME that is generated by the registrar.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.