stanza325 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2002

IT Knowledge database needed

Hi does anyone have a good database i could adapt to use for computer fault knowledge database. i needed to record list of pc program faults with dates descriptions and id numbers. the database would need a search form and add entries page. im new to access but will learn quick just need a start point.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is 'computer fault knowledge'?

Maybe this tutorial site will help get you started http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    stanza,

Please tell us more about this requirement.
    What is the business of your organization/company?
    Do you have a quality assurance or data management function in the organization?
    Do you have a DBA? Do you have multi-user databases? Who manages them?
    Do you have automated systems now? How do you currently do backups?

Sorry that I have not been very clear what I'm after. What I was needing is a access database that I could start off and amend to fit my needs. What I'm aiming to do is record a list past and present faults that my department has with our computer system so it's possible for users to search this database with keywords to see if the problem there having has been logged before or if it's new issue, abd the ability for myself to add new items/faults to the database. I calling this a fault or issue knowledge database.

Windows XP Access 2003
    How do you track/handle "faults" now? Do you have paper records or is this a new idea?
    Do you have a list of things you want to record/report/search?
    Who would a) populate this database, b) use this database?
    You have 2 posts here -- have you designed and/or built databases?

A little story on history of "knowledge database".
    There was a time --before PCs and desktops-- where much of data processing was done on single computers.
    There was a "technical group" who knew about the hardware and software, another group (often individuals) who knew something about a specific application/program. Then there were the users. A separate group who prepared and submitted "jobs" (cards or parameter files) that would "run" and then reports/outputs available when "run" completed. If there were problems, there would be some analysis to determine ---was it hardware, software, bad data, incorrect parameters,"other".
    Sometimes this was recorded on paper, but often not --just corrected and resubmitted. If problems became frequent, there was an effort to identify the "issue". When issue occurred a lot with specific "programs", and the number of users affected or encountering the "issues" grew, there was an effort to create a "hot line/tech support" group to respond to questions. Some orgs even took some of their "tech personnel" to staff this "support group". As things continued to grow, the orgs put more "techies" in this support function. Somewhere the light came on and someone said, 'why don't we record the issues, causes, dates, symptoms, probable solutions for reference. Then, we won't need the "high priced techies" to man the phones- we can have people work from the reference materials and get the techies back to techie work. So, problem/issue logs were created. As things continued to grow -more interactive systems, networks etc. Then another light came on --let's make a proper database of issues/problems/corrective actions --even a decision tree of how to address an issue. Then why not make this available to "registered users" who can search for specific issues/resolutions by themselves.
    See this for ERD tutorial

I think you are somewhere in that story. From a database design view, make sure you have a good description/understanding of WHAT you want to do. Get, or make up some test data, and test your ideas.
    Build a model (diagram/ERD) of the things involved and how they relate to each other. Get others involved to make sure your requirements are complete. As you start design, you can use the stump the model approach to ensure you are on track.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it develops.

Windows XP Access 2003

Hi Orange
    Thanks for the information it was very helpful. You are right about the story fitting my business, it has come to a point where we need a database of issues/problems/corrective actions and possible time scales of when the defects will be fixed. We are a uat and system administrator team and the lists of outstanding defects have become messy and disjointed and is only accessible by my team. All users need to be able to search for outstanding problems. I haven't checked out the Edr tutorial but will soon.

Paul

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The only db template I can think of that is close to what you want is the MS Desktop Issue Tracking. Are you really still working with Access 2002? I don't know if you will be able to find an mdb version.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    stanza,

Will this be your only database in Access? Can you tell us more about your environment?

Here is a list of bug/issue tracking databases. You might browse through, or do some research of, some of these to get an understanding of database structure, table design, User Interface, Querying and Reporting.

I can't stress enough that you have to get your requirements documented before starting to "play database".
    Get a good list of WHAT users need to get from this proposed database. That will give you a good start on what has to be in the database (or derivable from what's in the database).

Identify some test case scenarios-- typical issue, suggestions for correction, related info, who is affected (criticality).
    Make sure your ERD/data model can handle these before building your database. Use the stump the model approach(suggested earlier) with colleagues.

Good luck.

Update since posting: Here is a link to a whitepaper. It is related to DoneDone software (from the list) but it is a general guide on describing issues/bugs. It will give you some idea of what that supplier considers an issue/bug and how to describe it. It has a link to another article.

Also, here is a youtube video by someone who has created a issue/bug tracker in excel. From this video you will see what sort of info he records about an issue. You can use this to help you with your Access database design.

Windows XP Access 2003
    stanza,

I found a reference to a Microsoft Bug database Template for 2007. But when I went to the link it couldn't be found. I did find one for Sharepoint. I then when on a hunt and found the attached -- which is an accdt.
    I also tried to access the videos that were identified within the database, but again these links could not be found.

The zip file can be used to create a database --but it is accdb by default. I think this is the same database template that June mentioed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.