Adecypher is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access 2007, Access 2010 Compatibility With Windows 10, Access 2007

Hi All,

We are using MS Access based applications (both 2007 and 2010 versions). Today one of the user asked me about the compatibility of Windows 10 with MS Access version we are running. This question arises because Windows 10 is coming in just a few weeks and Microsoft announced that it will offer Windows 10 as a free download for users of Windows 7 and 8. To let its existing user base know, Microsoft slipped in an advertising program for Windows 10 within its usual roll-out of security patches for Windows 7 and 8 installations a few weeks earlier. So the user saw a pop message on his window and asked me that question.

I am worried about any compatibility issue arising after if at all an upgrade is performed from Windows 7 to 10...advice, suggestions and guidance will be much appreciated.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    I wouldn't expect it to be an issue, the bigger issue would more likely be with upgrading Office and mixing 32 and 64bit versions. Having said that, it is good practice to try any changes of this nature on a test machine or machines before rolling out to everyone.

Also look at the documentation MS provides about what is in Win10, what has been deprecated and what is new.

Thanks Ajax! I am looking at the documentation so far disseminated on the web about Windows 10 and unfortunately it only talks about hardware compatibility with some clarity as far as software apps goes there is not much of a substantial info available. I am so surprised that not a single word about MS Access exist...!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    rather than searching on Access, Search on Office

I would be very surprised if MS issued a new OS which was not compatible with previous versions - particularly if they are offering free upgrades. Having said that, there could be bugs (which won't be documented yet, tho' perhaps try finding a forum for early adopters) - hence my suggesting you test before rolling out

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have had a W10 iso for several months now and I regret not building a box out of it. However, I feel it won't be a big issue for Access. Like mentioned, check compatibility for your version of Office. Beyond that, I am not overly concerned. From what I have heard, Microsoft is working hard to keep legacy "Desktop" apps running on W10. But, testing it out is the only true way to know.

Also, the way I understand the free upgrade working is that it is only good for the life of the original OS. So if support ends for W7 in 2 years, your "Free" version of W10 may stop functioning the way you expect it to. I would not be surprised if it went into some sort of "Not Genuine Mode". I looked into the offer a little bit. I don't think I want to keep track of which upgrades used to be W7 and which upgrades used to be W8. Maybe just do it for W8 machines. Or maybe I don't understand the offer correctly.

@Ajax and @ItsMe

Agreed. The best way out of this problem is to use a test machine first and see what happens, probably perform a VNV test on some of the MS Access apps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.