newbieX is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Wanted : Ideas for db design/workflow for data entry process using mutliple copies of same database

We have an Access 2010 master database that is stored on a shared drive at the main office. Some of the people who collect data for input into this database do not have access to this drive. Due to governmental red tape and typical slowness of any kind of progress happening quickly, putting it on the web is not going to happen anytime soon.

Currently we send out a duplicate of the master database every 6 months or so. The users at these satellite offices enter their data which then gets flagged as "Unverified". This data gets exported and sent to the db administrator for importation into the master database. There are probably 10 people who enter data this way. The "temporary database" interface was designed to just handle data entry and not data editing as we do not have versioning thus to allow the editing of data already imported into the master database would be a logistical nightmare to track these changes. Once the data entered has been sent off to the db administrator to import into the master database, any editing to this data is done by people who have access to the master database. The users in these satellite offices notify the db administrator of any errors and the db administrator makes these changes.

I am not happy with this approach but given the parameters I have to work with, I cannot think of a better way to do it. Does anyone else have a different approach that might be more efficient and effective?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe a satellite office could use a VPN to RDP to a client in your office. The client in the office could have a front end file that linked to the backend. For this, I would recommend one client PC per satellite office.

If the RDP thing is possible, I would consider using Microsoft Azure services to host your backend in the cloud. It is not cheap but there is a service called Azure Active Directory. You can offer all sorts of security standards. There is even dual authentication. Once Azure AD is established, there are all sorts of options to host existing apps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.