Paul,

Hello. I am back again with a follow-up on this. We have a subset of users who are at remote locations on a slightly different network. So their network credentials on the systems at the location where they are working from are different from their credentials on the SQL server where the database resides. So it appears that in setting up a File DSN (or even a User DSN), we would need to use the "SQL Server authentication" option with their other credentials.

However, those credentials are user-specific, so it would be hard to set-up a File DSN in that scenario. So we got the idea to create a "generic" user account on the SQL server, and use that account in setting up the File DSN. However, we have run into an issue. That is the connection does not store the password, so they are prompted for a password every time they open the database. I did some research, and found where you can manually edit the DSN file and try adding a line in for the password ("PW=..."). But when I tried this, I got an error that says "Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authenticiation" (I am not sure why it is trying to use Windows Authentication when I set up the File DSN to use SQL Authentication).

So I am kind of stuck what to do next. This issue with users on a different network is really complicating matters for us.
Any ideas?

BTW, in setting up the File DSN, we are using the server IP in the Server name field (as that is the only way to find it I believe if you are connecting from another network). Also, since the users rarely (if ever) use these other credentials set-up for them on this SQL server (outside of their main network), we were hoping that they would be able to connect without having to type in a password every time.