_Chris_ is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Records not showing for particular criteria ?

Just setting up the query filters in MS Access 2007, by simply going into the design view for that particular query, setting the criteria, so really can't see how it isn't working? I put Like "*TOF*" in the criteria field and no records are returned for that, even though there's many records including that word in that field? Any help much appreciated.

Chris.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you change your query to SQL View, it will give you the SQL code for that query. Can you Copy and Paste the code for the query with criteria you are trying here, along with some examples of your data?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Afraid can't give any example data, as it's full of private info. Code from sql:
    SELECT Table1.[Previous payment], Table1.[Date last checked for payment], Table1.[First name of contact], Table1.[Surname of contact], Table1.[TO which account], Table1.[If part of the deal is them linking to us, which page do they li], Table1.Recurring, Table1.[Still going], Table1.[Changed to three on failures]
    FROM Table1
    WHERE (((Table1.[If part of the deal is them linking to us, which page do they li]) Like "*TOF*") AND ((Table1.[Still going])="Y"))
    ORDER BY Table1.[Date last checked for payment], Table1.[Next payment due];

Windows XP Access 2003
    Aaaaargh, just realised, I was inputting the query text into a very similarly worded field! Oooops! With me inputting into the correct field in the query design it all works great. Easily done, and the first mistake in 14 years isn't bad! One thing, when I went to night school to study MS Access, they never touched on sql or vba's simply becuase it does all I need, without the need to go there, so it begs the question, why is there a need for some to go into the sql or vba? None of my 30+ databases are linked to websites, so do you need the sql coding stuff when it's linked to websites?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can build a lot of basic databases without knowing VBA or SQL, but if you want to design very slick automated databases with various bells and whistles, those tools will definitely allow you to do that. If your databases grow to large, you will probably need to put the data (back-end) on a different program/application due to Access's size limitations (2 GB), programs like SQL, MySQL, or Oracle. You can still use Access as the front-end for these applications, even though the data is stored elsewhere.

A lot of it depends on what you use it for, how much you use it, and how much it needs to do. If you wanted to get a job as a Database Designer and didn't know SQL, VBA (or VB instead), you probably wouldn't get too far.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Okay, thanks Joe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.