sunnyday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Queries not running either in subform or main form

Hi ,
    My navigation form conatins a subform which has two cascaded combo boxes which run on queries and a bit of requery coding. Selection of one choice from the first combo box filters the list available for rthe second combo box. Everything as working fine. Until one of my users opened the dependent query without opening or using the controls on the navigation form subform. Now the result is that the query does not run in either of the main subform itself nor the subform inside the navigation form.

The error was

" The expression After Update you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events."
    * The expression may no...."

And when I click OK it ask sfor Parameter value which I enter , the value shows up in the cascaded 2nd box but does not let it enter. The error reply is the same as above.

It had asked for parameter value in the Navigation form earlier which I fixed it by using the Criteria "Like...Forms!NavigationForm!NavigationSubform!... "*"..in the dependent query for the controls
    and it let me chose the cascaded value lists.

I am pretty sure that Access has a problem that when one opens the queries which are dependents for cascaded queries, before clicking on the controls on the main form it corrupts the forms.

Please help

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think Access is the problem. Remake your combo boxes if you must - their query can be part of their record source and do not need to appear in the navigation pane preventing other users from altering.

If you do prefer their query source to be in the navigation pane; make that pane not visible to other users, or warn them to stay away from your reserved queries, or give them a new blank front end linked to tables where they can write their own queries.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    In case of Navigation Forms, there is ONLY ONE sub form control and the respective forms get loaded when you click on the navigation button.
    this is from a MSDN article.
    Because the navigation form loads each form as you click the corresponding tab, you can be certain that users see the most current data, without a need for you to create specific code that re-queries the form as users click each tab. This also means that the navigation form does not provide a specific event as you click each tab. Instead, place the load-time code in each form or report Load or Open event handler.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.