tramp82 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Security now set for all databases on same pc??

Hi there,

I have a db on my computer, and I have set up 3 user accounts. Admin, Power and User.

I have created these accounts myself and selected what they can and can't do.

However, now, when I try to open another db on this pc, or even if I create a new one, it asks for these credentials? So I don't seem to be able to put nothing (it prompts for username/password everytime) and putting in the password for the accounts on my first database doesn't work either (as they are not set up for this new one).

When I move the db to a new computer, it allows me in to the db without requiring a password or username.

Can anyone help tie the security creds to this db only and not to the pc?

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Where are you storing your security credentials, it sounds like you are setting up network security so a user is prompted for a username/password if they try to access a file within a folder but that wouldn't explain why you can open it just fine on another computer without the username/password.

The long and the short is that you aren't clear HOW you are setting up your security there are half a dozen ways you could be doing this and your post isn't clear about which path you've taken.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Thanks for your reply.

OK, so I created the accounts and permissions by going in to Tools | Security | User and Group Accounts / User and Group Permissions.

This is a MS 2003 Access DB and would like to soon upgrade it to 2013 if possible.

First time I've set up Security for a DB, It looks like this sets up permissions for Access itself on that PC rather than a specific DB. Can you suggest a better way of doing it? I'm a bit worried about using the wizard as I tried it once and it screwed things up!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So your security is based on network credentials? I don't have a version of access 2003 handy to go check menus so I'm not sure if you're referring to network or security within access itself.

I'm still also not clear on how much security you want for this database.

If your database is split into front end/back end you have to do a 2 step process, I think you have to password protect the back end first, then password protect (with the same password) the front end. if it's not a split database you can just set the password.

Setting a database password basically means nobody can get into it without the password, even by holding down the shift key (if I remember correctly) This is likely the easiest solution to the problem.

If you want user level security, in other words you have stuff in your database that you want some people to see and others not to you have to set up your own database specific security (set up within access itself) by setting up the infrastructure of adding users/passwords to the system and a method to grant or deny access to specific forms within your database.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The User Security of Access 2003 was subsequently dropped by Microsoft. I would recommend you not go down this road at all.

Windows XP Access 2000
    No it's not using network credentials, in fact it's on a standalone PC. But many users use the Windows PC under the same login. So they will all have the db available.

I am trying to user user access control from the db itself, so that an Admin can do whatever, and a standard user is unable to delete data from the db etc etc.

This works good on the PC, but when I try to access a different db on the same computer, it asks me for the same credentials. And of course, they don't work for the new db.

rpeare, I am interested in your last point. Can you explain how I'd do this please?

Thanks!

Windows XP Access 2000
    I have now upgraded to MS Office 365. So any help with doing this in 2013?

NTC is offline VIP
    it is unclear as to what is your issue. If you are setting up separate accounts on 1 PC so that the 1 PC can be used by differing people - that is totally an operating system issue. If you are attempting to password protect an Access database in the 2013 edition you want to look for the 'encrypt with Password' feature which is on the File tab.

Windows XP Access 2000
    No no, of course I know how to add a password!

But there will be say, 3 different user levels, each with their own set of permissions.

What I need is, a way to keep these no matter which PC they are used on. At the moment, if someone was to copy the database onto a disk, say, as soon as they take it away and load it onto another computer with Access, the permissions are lost.

What I want, is for them to stay with the database, not with Access for instance. And this would let me have more than 1 database on this PC with differing permissions.

Make sense?

NTC is offline VIP
    No such capability exists. User permission now is custom built into the individual database in terms of features/data that is seen/enabled. It does not pertain to any other database. This can be as tight as an individual field or button or report.

The old user security that is no longer supplied by Microsoft involved read, write, design only and did not drill down into a specific fields or controls. To disallow design ability across-the-board one now releases the front end as an .accde file. To disallow data write/edit is controlled in form properties to Allow Edits, Allow Additions, Allow Deletions - and can be based upon the user ID that you custom set up as part of a log-in process.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.