LonnieCAR is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Make a field that was numeric alphanumeric. Also, make a "spin" button.

I have a database I have worked on for the sister company of the place I am employed. I have a project that is simply boggling my mind (I’m a novice Access user). I have a field I am trying to make alphanumeric that has been numeric. (“PO Number” on the main form). I had a gentleman on this forum help me make it alphanumeric a couple of months ago, but it disabled the “Edit Customer Information” button on the bottom right of the form to where I can’t enter shipping addresses and things like that. It should be able to enter multiple shipping addresses. I need help making the PO Number field button alphanumeric and making sure it doesn’t mess-up the Edit Customer Information button. I have attached both versions of my database. The GM at the sister company would also like me to create a “Spin” button where you can take an old record and keep all of the previous information on it, except it gives it a new Work Order# and you can change the date to something newer. This is something I also can’t wrap my mind around. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you dearly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi LonnieCar,

Go into your Orders table and change the field type for the PO Number to Short text. I have done it in your sample and the modify customer button still works fine. No reason it shouldn't. I will give some thought to your other half of your question.

LonnieCAR is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thank you Gina. Gee, that was easy. I never thought to use that option because it said "text" in its title. Please see what you can do for my second issue. I am literally driving myself nuts trying to figure it out. ;P

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't see a major problem with you adding new shipping addresses to each customer, you just have to have a customer (or work order selected) for it to function correctly.

Secondly, you really should stay away from deleting data from your database if you can. Deleting old orders means you have no access to old information. You would be far better served by employing a search function than allowing access to all the records in your database.

To copy an existing record you will need code or a query to perform the copy with a prompt for the new date (or automatically assume today's date as the new date). You will have to dictate which fields are valid to copy because you obviously don't want all the fields copying forward.

See modified database for examples:
    EDGE GUARD ENTRY SYSTEM.zip

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnieCAR View Post
    Thank you Gina. Gee, that was easy. I never thought to use that option because it said "text" in its title. Please see what you can do for my second issue. I am literally driving myself nuts trying to figure it out. ;P
    Lonnie,

To clarify, you want to duplicate all the information from an existing order and change just the date and work order#?

Thanks.
    Gina

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.