JohnHellis is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Insert Object

Hi

I am running a largish database (almost 4000 entries) with 32 fields in Access 2013

I am trying to cut down the number of fields by inserting a Word document into a Notes field (Insert Object).

My problem is that I now store the Database on a Western Digital MyCloud external hard drive, but I cannot create or access the Word Documents on the MyCloud, though they are available when I store them on my laptop hard drive.

In an ideal world I would like both the Access database and the associated Word documents to be together on my external hard drive.

Does anyone have an idea how I can achieve this please?

John

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Almost 4000 entries is an extremely small database. 400,000 would be 'largish'.

How does Word document cut down the number of fields? Is Notes field an attachment type? Storing objects in table actually uses more storage space than raw data.

The hard drive is connected to computer by USB? I cannot replicate the issue. Access sees my USB drive just fine.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for replying.

OK, I take your point, but 4000 archaeological records seems pretty large to me.

Using word documents is not to save space, I want to make the database simpler to use so stuff like bibliography, HER numbers etc, which do not need to be searchable or often consulted, are not on the main database. Using word DOCs I can still search the files if I need, say, a specific HER file.

Now, my problem.

WD MyCloud is a personal cloud storage device, by definition that means that it is connected to via the internet.

Whilst Access shows MyCloud as a location, when I select it there are no files shown (There's about a gig and a half on the drive, not a lot I know, but enough stuff to keep me occupied )

So.

Any solutions or suggestions as to how I get Access to acknowledge the MyCloud drive.

John

June7 is offline VIP
    Oh, this is a new one.

I can't find anything that addresses MS Access connecting to WD MyCloud.

Seems to me including another app in data management is more complicated, not simpler, even if this device were not involved.

You are trying to insert object into Attachment type field?

This is not a split design db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah, I thought that I was reasonably competent with Access, but this has me beat, which is why I threw myself on to the mercy of this Forum.

I am not really adding another app. The Word documents are added as OLE Objects. This is as you know, a standard way of adding external material to an Access DB.

What has got me beat is that the Database itself is happily working from the MyCloud.

To link a Word document I right click on the OLE field and select

Insert Object > Create From File > Browse

‘My Documents’ appears in the main browser window with MyCloud and the two hard drives on my laptop. To add to the confusion I can browse my second laptop on the wireless network and see all of the documents on it.

So, if I can read files from another computer wirelessly, why can’t I even see the files on the MyCloud?

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry, never dealt with a MyCloud device. Does any of the MyCloud file structure show when running the Insert dialog?

Won't word be executed whenever you want to view the embedded documents?

I've never had good luck with OLEObject field and controls. Are you able to add local Word files into the field? I have used Attachment type field. Try the Attachment field and see if the files show in the dialog. Try running the Import/Export wizard and see if the file structure shows in that wizard.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Perhaps I am clouding (no pun intended) the issue with the MyCloud device, all it is is a cloud storage (NAS) device so the solution should surly be the same for any cloud storage.

I have never had a problem with OLE objects until now.

Local (on the internal PC HD) files are no problem, they load as they have always done.

But the ‘My Documents’ on the MyCloud shows as empty.

Surly I am not the only person storing and using Access on the cloud, I thought that MS wanted us all to use OneDrive, so how does that work?

I have never used OneDrive, has anyone used it with Access? Can they embed an OLE object?

June7 is offline VIP
    I suggest you test other Access dialogs to find out if they can see the MyCloud file structure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.