edson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007

How to generate a form or report which keeps track of the data changes made in the db forms fields.

Hello you all. This is Edson from rainy days in Brazil (finally).
    I need to learn how to generate either a form or report able to show me the history of data changes made by users in the fields of Access Objects. I'm more interested in Forms, since the users will use Forms to change data in the db.
    Let me give an example:
    My db has, for instance, a form named Frm1 and a form named Frm2. Both were built including several fields such as text boxes, combo boxes, etc.
    So, if the user Paul first changes the field Color of the record Id 235 in the Frm1 from Green to Yellow, and then, down the road George changes the field Size of the record Id 14 in the Frm2 from Big to Small, I need to know what changes were made, by who, and when changes happened. Also, it is important to know if a record Id is added or excluded.
    My final intent is to have a report/form that shows some sort of user activity log which I think could be like this:

Date--------Time----------User-----Form------RecId------Action------Field-----From-----------To
    Dec12,14---15:12:35-----Paul-----Frm1--------235------Changed---Color----Green-----------Yellow
    Dec18,14---07:05:19-----George--Frm2---------14------Changed---Size-----Big--------------Small
    Dec22,14---09:23:59-----Sean----Frm2--------116------Deleted
    Dec23,14---11:07:03-----Paul-----Frm2--------321------Added
    etc...

By sorting this output by date, form and field it will easy to check/audit for user processing mistakes.

I believe it is possible but I have no idea how to make it. I know enough to build tables, queries, forms and reports, but don't know how to structure such thing. Could you supply me with some guidelines, or examples, or macros, please? Specially on the VBA to capture such information. What kind of form event should I setup?
    It would be very handy. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This is a common topic. For start, review http://allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

edson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    This is a common topic. For start, review http://allenbrowne.com/AppAudit.html
    Good morning June7. Thank you. I'll study the codes and apply them. I'll get back with you if I fail. Have a blessed day.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.