jabrjo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

The purpose of the Save Record Command Button

I have done a bit of searching online and I keep finding different answers. What is the benefit of having a Save Record Button on a form? Access immediately saves every edit I make. I know some people want to click a save button after they enter data but I would rather not have one if there is no benefit.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Data entry/edit is committed to table when: close form, move to another record, run code.

Saving with code allows user to commit the record but also remain on that record. There may be circumstances where the record must be committed first before it would be available elsewhere, such as in report output. So if user just entered/edited a record and wants to immediately issue a report, the code would commit the record before executing OpenReport.

Usually when I have a "Save" button it is in conjunction with some other action: "Save and Close" or "Save and Enter New Record", etc. - in which case you are correct, the SaveRecord command is probably not needed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jabrjo is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for the helpful response! I am interested in the "Save and Enter New Record" feature. Do you have the code for that command? My save button is currently an embedded macro...whats the best way to switch the current button to a save and enter new record?

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Possibly just move to new record row.

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.