RayMilhon is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Images in SQL Server

I have a database MS Access 2010 front end SQL Server 2008 R2 backend. We have a table with Patient Information. Each Patient record could receive 0 or more attachments that are scanned and the scanned image put into the DB. I've created a table with an Identity field for each document scanned, a foreign key to the specific patient the document applies and an image field for the actual image. I've linked the table in Access but now I'm stuck. Should I pull the image itself into SQL Server or put the location of where the image is in Sql Server? Also any ideas on how to allow the user to access those images. I considered a drop down with the image names the user could highlight one and that document would be displayed on the form. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Scanned image is put into what db - SQL Server?

Access attachment field is a type of multi-value field. As I understand, only Access has multi-value fields and multi-value fields will not migrate to other db platforms. I think they have a BLOB data type for storing objects, in Access the equivalent might be OLEObject. I don't know how Access OLEObject or Image controls deal with BLOB type, if at all.

Access Image control has a ControlSource property which easily allows dynamic display of internal or external image files.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

accedeholdings is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    I think you need to attach it in a different sql server and just try to get a connection with it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.