robbeh is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Trying to Access a Secured Access Database without System.mdw file

I am going to try and be as clear and to the point as possible since this is a bit confusing

The company has a database that's been used for years. Regular Access 2003 security (using the system.mdw file) is being used. When I go to open the database I get the error:

"you do not have necessary permissions to use the <object>...."

So I created a shortcut using the wrkgrp switch. I get the logon screen now but none of my logins work. I would think this is because I am not part of the right workgroup.

Certain people in the organization open the database and get the logon screen right away.

Two questions:

1. What do I need to request from the networking guys (they don't understand this stuff) to be set up like the other users so I can login?
    2. Is there any way I can set up a dummy system.mdw file containing the username and password I know works?

Basically I have a secure database, have the logins for the database but I THINK my issue is I don't have access to the right System.mdw file.

Any other advice or options would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by robbeh View Post
    ...but I THINK my issue is I don't have access to the right System.mdw file...
    This sounds about right if other users are logging on with the same credentials that you are trying from your computer.

It has been a while since I have played around with MDW but I would start by determining the path to the MDW the other users are using. Go to their desktop and look at their shortcut's properties. If a drive is mapped, open that drive from their PC and determine the UNC path to the server.

With the UNC path to the MDW file, you can navigate to the MDW from your PC.

Thanks for the response! It all makes sense but what's happened is the database folder was erased and it seems the shortcut those users were using too. They restored the database but there is no MDW file in the folder so my guess is that wasn't restored. I had our systems guy look all the way back to April and it's not there.

I now get it a lot better and know I have to track down that MDW file. Am I safe to addume without it I am SOL?

I am going to resolve this thread. I was able to locate the MDW file. I know it's a different resolution than what most people would be looking for since I have managed to find mine but hopefully it helps someone in the same boat.

If you have the MDW file created for the security of y our MS Access Database, you will need to create a shortcut with the wrkgrp switch pointing to that mdw file.

"PATHTOACCESS" "PATHTODATABASE" /wrkgrp "PATHTOSECURITYMDWFILE" /user

So an example would be:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "Y:\Some Directory\Database\databasename.mdb" /wrkgrp "Y:\Some Directory\Database\databasename.mdw" /user

Note your mdw file might not match your database name, it's good practice to do this but it might not.

To create a shortcut, right click on your desktop and New > Shortcut and paste the example with your data from above.

I hope that helps.

Robb

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.