Marcus Curry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Use MS Access to filter and report on a SharePoint list

Hello,
    I have been asked to build functionality that will allow a user to run a report on a Sharepoint list. The list contains a quater / year field (1Q2014) and the record on the list can contain multiple values (1Q2014, 2Q2015).

I am new to Sharepoint, and not an expert in Access.

Where should I start?
    Should I create the database, then link to Sharepoint, or vice-versa?
    Once the link is establised, I need the user to open the tool (form / query / report), select the quarter desired, and have the report display the data related to the selected quater.

I apologize in advance, but I will need some specific directions on the linking, user quarter selection and the form / query / report setup.

The user should be able to access the functionality through the Sharepoint site and not have to download a copy to the user's machine.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marc

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I would have a form, say frmRpts. On it have 2 text boxes for dates, txtStartDate, txtEndDate.
    When the user selects a Qtr, use some code to fill in the date boxes. (or manually fill)
    Then the query would read the boxs for criteria...
    [DateEvent] between forms!frmRpts!txtSTartDate and forms!frmRpts!txtEndDate

Or build other quick data range controls

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reports.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	18382

Marcus Curry is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have a table named periods that contains all of the quarters. When entering new records, the user selects the quater from the period list as a valid value. This is a multi select list and the user can select more than one period for the record.

I am familiar with queries enough to get user input by posing the question in the criteria field of the query. I need the user to select the period from a list of valid values. Either the Period table or from the table of records.

For now, this is a 'simple' list with 3 fields: Question, Answer, and Period (multi select list).
    We will be wanting to add more field filters in the future. An example would be to select the Q&A by period, and then by submitter.
    So, if I had entered 3 records with a period of 2Q2014, and another user added 2 records for 2Q2014, if the 2Q2014 field is the only filter, then 5 records would display on the report. However, when applying a second fillter for the submitter, and I was selected, then the report would only display the 3 records I entered.

I don't feel that I need additional fields for date parameters. I would like the user to select the period and display the records. Once I get this working, I would then want to add the additional field to refine the report by submitter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.