ajs112 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Design Ideas

Hi all,

I was curious if anyone might have a few design suggestions. I've hit a wall in how I'd like my database to look and how it should be represented in forms and am turning to everyone for ideas!

The set-up:

My database keeps track of an inventory within a state. I have a tblSurplus to track all of the inventory we have handled and a query qryCurrentInventory to display all of the inventory we still have on hand, and a form based on this query to display that information. Additionally there is a table, tblDisposals, to track what current inventory has been logged as disposed of either as a sale or as a transfer. This distinction is important because if its transferred I need to track what customer it was transferred from and to whom it went. Simple enough!

The Goal:

I would like to be able to select a record within the current inventory query and be able to list it in the tblDisposals as either sold or transferred. If it's transferred I need it to display where it came from and where it went. (I already where it came from in the tblSurplus). As I'm a complete novice avoidance of code (if possible) would be greatly appreciated!

I seem to have hit a creative block and am getting burned out as I have had to teach myself form scratch this last month so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you looked at the Access Asset Management database template?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...001225342.aspx

I don't know if it has component for surplus/disposal.

Avoidance of code means selecting asset from combobox list.

However, simplest approach might be not to have separate tables for disposal and surplus. Assuming an asset can be acquired only once and disposed of only once, these could be fields in the Assets table. Sure, a lot of blank cells but it is a balancing act between data normalization and ease of data entry/output.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ajs112 is offline Novice
    Thanks for the suggestion June! I've taken a peak prior to starting and nothing quite meets the needs I have for this particular database!

ajs112 is offline Novice
    Any other ideas from the experienced user base here?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Would have to see the dB, but what about a main form/sub form arrangement?
    The main form could have the current inventory and the subform would be the disposal of the equipment (sold/transferred)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.