Seeking guidance with session database

Gday all,

I am hopelessly new to Access and I'm trying to organise a database for the management of the members in a small juniors club I am running. The database I want will be very simple but below is what I'm seeking for it to do:
    • Ability to enter new junior member records and their details
    • Same as above for the leaders
    • Manage sessions and track attendance of the juniors and seniors for same

I have been able to accomplish the first two tasks but that about as far as my Access knowledge goes at this point. In regards to session management:
    • I want a form that allows the user to enter details for a session (date and content) and have the form display all of my juniors where I can select whether they attended or not. Once saved it should make a record of who attended on that particular date
    • I want to be able to repeat this process for each session as they are added - recording attendance for each junior
    • The list of juniors on the session form would need to be 'update-able' (yes a new word!) as junior members are added and/or removed
    • I would like to generate reports based on the attendance history of each junior, as well as the attendance of each session

I hope this makes any amount of sense to someone out here. It's hard for me to explain what I want but hopefully you can cue me and I'll be able to provide better information.

Thanks in advance!

Mick

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would build a table with the following fields

EventID
    EventName
    JuniorID
    EventDate

Link this table to your membership table on the JuniorID

Create a subform on your input form that will be bound to the Event Table. Make this subform a datasheet for presentation. Put a combo box on the subform for the eventName.

Create a query for each event and use that as your record source for a report.

Quote Originally Posted by alansidman View Post
    I would build a table with the following fields

EventID
    EventName
    JuniorID
    EventDate

Link this table to your membership table on the JuniorID

Create a subform on your input form that will be bound to the Event Table. Make this subform a datasheet for presentation. Put a combo box on the subform for the eventName.

Create a query for each event and use that as your record source for a report.
    Sounds good mate but sadly I can't get my head around this. Few questions:
    • So the purpose of having the JuniorID in this table and the linkage? If I'm entering the details for a session then why would I need the JuniorID field if I can only enter one number for each session entry?
    • So on the form I desire, I want the user to be able to punch in the details of the session (e.g. date, content) and then tick off who attended that date. Should be able to scroll through all the dates and be able to tick off the juniors each session.

I feel that this should be easy but I think I'm not realising a vital piece in the puzzle?! Haha

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, but simple data entry doesn't work like that. Unless you want to use a multi-value field (ugh, I NEVER use), to 'tick off' the attendees would require VBA code to create record for each 'tick'.

Use form/subform arrangement. Main form is bound to Sessions table. Subform is bound to junction table described by Alan - SessionAttendees. Select attendee from combobox in the subform to create record for each. The SessID will automatically be saved because of the form/subform linking. There will be multiple records for each session.

SessionAttendees
    ID SessID MemID
    1 123 456
    2 123 789
    3 123 912
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Sorry, but simple data entry doesn't work like that. Unless you want to use a multi-value field (ugh, I NEVER use), to 'tick off' the attendees would require VBA code to create record for each 'tick'.

Use form/subform arrangement. Main form is bound to Sessions table. Subform is bound to junction table described by Alan - SessionAttendees. Select attendee from combobox in the subform to create record for each. The SessID will automatically be saved because of the form/subform linking. There will be multiple records for each session.

SessionAttendees
    ID SessID MemID
    1 123 456
    2 123 789
    3 123 912
    So my ignorance is only part of the problem then? Haha

So the Session table that Alan described I link to the main form and then what do I link in the sub form? So I pretty much need to have an entry for every junior attending each session?

Could we confirm what data tables i need and the linkages between them? Cheers

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What exactly is not clear?

Main form bound to Sessions. Subform bound to SessionAttendees. Subform Master/Child Links properties synchronize the two. Combobox on subform to select members attending session.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.