Monterey_Manzer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Passing values vs. objects

Hi All,

I have what may be a philosophical question. Is there something inherently wrong or wasteful about passing an entire object to functions/subs rather than assigning the values needed to variables and passing those through your call stack? I'm trying to operate by the general "one page" rule of thumb for my subs and functions but just the process of handling all the decision making code is making my subs rather long and I'm trying to find a way to simplify. Basically what I want is to have just one level of decision making code for each sub or function and in some cases that requires passing an entire form or report object to other subroutines or functions so that an additional layer of decision making can be handled by a separate chunk of code. My desire for simplified code is starting to be satisfied but it requires me to pass entire form or report (or error) objects to other functions/subs. This hasn't caused any problems or slowed performance appreciably thus far but if someone has some experience with the potential pitfalls of this approach I would appreciate any insight anyone could give.

Thanks!
    Ryan

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Usu you just pass the value. You only need to pass objects if you are dealing with lots-o-objects.

{extreme example}
    Like a form with many combo box filters. Each combo uses a different query, but the same method to fill it.
    Users picks the filter to use, so pass a combo box type to the routine to be filled.
    All combos have the same properties, so 1 set of code can be used to do all the same type.

So under normal functions...pass value.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.