drysilk007 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Trying to build a specialized report but don't know where to start

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and joined hoping someone might be able to help me. I currently have Access 2010 and know a little above the basic principles of access.

I have created a db that i'm hoping to be able to use on the employee's I supervise. The requirement for my corporation is to be able to rate performance of the employee's. Kind of like the military rates it's enlisted and commissioned forces (if you know anything about that, that is.) So what I've completed thus far are 3 tables.

"employee" - This table lists the names & position of all the people under my supervision. (auto number ID, and single column for name & position)

"accomplishment type" - This lists the different types of accomplishments for department productivity (auto number ID, and single column for type)

"accomplishment input" - this is the table that all the info goes into & here is how I've set it up:

date of input: formula is set for auto fill to date of input
    employee: this is a look-up wizard that's sourced from the employee table
    type: this is a look-up wizard that's sourced from accomplishment type
    task: text box of what they have done
    how task: text box on how they completed the task
    impact: text box on how this benefited or improved the company

This is where I'm at right now. I would like to create a form that has a combo box that's source is the employee table and a combo box that's source is the accomplishment type table. I would like to be able to select the employee's name/accomplishment type and then click a command button to generate a full list of everything that has been inputted on that specific employee in that work category into a report.

This is a lot and I hope someone can help me because I've been trying for weeks and have only managed to build and then destroy the same build over and over trying to make sense of the access books I've had recommended to me. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide and have a great day.

-James

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like a very conventional report.

One way to get the filtered report output is with a dynamic parameterized query. Review: http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...mtoreport.html

However, I never use that method. I use VBA to open report and pass filter criteria in the command, like:

DoCmd.OpenReport "reportname", , , "EmpID=" & Me.cbxEmployee & " AND Type=" & Me.cbxType

Make sure the comboboxes used to select filter criteria are UNBOUND, otherwise you change data in record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Welcome to the forum.

and single column for name & position
    I would have 4 fields:
    EmployeeID (autonumber) (PK)
    LastName (text)
    FirstName (Text)
    WkPosition (text) (position is a reserved word in Access)

(btw, "column" is Excel speak, in Access it is "field")

For more reading and tutorials, see:
    Roger's Access Library - Tutorials
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum46.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.