missypooh1969 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Tabbed forms not showing In Form View

This looks messy but an example of what is happening. I wanted to add two tab using tab control to an existing Form which went without a hitch until I looked at it in Form View. In design view, it is designed the way I want it, but I go to Form View and it takes ALL Fields from form and two subforms and puts them in a datasheet. Bottom of form is dead space. I have attached a screen shot of both design view and form view, messy but shows what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

JeffChr is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It looks like your "Default View" property for your form is "Datasheet". Try "Single Form" instead.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	17870

I have tried both single form, datasheet and split form for the form property default view, none have worked. Just moves the fields around.

June7 is offline VIP
    Cannot replicate the issue.

Perhaps form is corrupted. Try rebuilding the form.

Otherwise, provide db for analysis. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I tried rebuilding the form. Even tried a new database thinking corruption. I am attaching a mini-version. Thanks for any help any of you guys can give!!!!! :-0
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Issue is the form RecordSource has no records. The query is linking 3 tables on Job_number fields but there are no common values. Core_Survey_Data_tbl doesn't even have records. Also, the links are INNER JOIN which requires related records in all tables for any to be retrieved by the query. The result here is no records can be retrieved and the RecordSource is empty, can't even have New Record row, hence the blank form.

A form can enter/edit data for only one table. Possibly need form/subform arrangement.

There are no primary key fields defined.

What are relationships of these tables?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I uploaded a db that just had the tables I am dealing with. The relationship between all three would be the job number and my real db has the primary keys. Even with no data, I would expect to see a form with blank fields, but not a blank form. I believe you hit it when you said "A form can enter/edit data for only one table". I was essentially trying to combine three forms where at time, two would need to collect data. Well, back to the drawing board! Thank you so much for taking a look.

June7 is offline VIP
    I changed the joins to RIGHT JOIN but without data in the Core table, the form remains blank. Remove the other 2 tables and the form works.

Correction, PKs are defined but not the fields used in the query joins.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by missypooh1969 View Post

...Even with no data, I would expect to see a form with blank fields, but not a blank form...
    Sorry, but that's just the way Access works! If a Form's Record Source has no Records, and the Form cannot be updated, for whatever reason, not even the Controls, themselves, appear!

Allen Browne has an excellent article that explains why Multi-Table Queries are frequently Read-Only:

Why is my query read-only?

As June7 suggested, the best way to do this type of thing is using a Main Form/Subform(s) scenario, with each Form or Subform being Bound to a single Table.

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 08-20-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.