John V is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Problems entering values into field on form

I have a form for entering Retirement Plan information (frmRRSP) that has tblRRSP as its recordsource. The RRSP Rate is a field with a Number datatype (in the table) and a Percent format on the form. When I enter a value on the form it originally displays the value I enter, until I press the Enter key, then it changes to "####" an enters a value of 0 in the table field.

I tried entering a value directly in the table and it changes to 0 when I press Enter.

WTF?

I have an almost identical form and table for Vacation and it does the same thing.

John V

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    the #### occurs when the field size is too small and can be resolved simply by widening the field size on a form/report

the change to 0 is due to rounding is my guess; there are parameters in the number data type and you simply are not in sync as to those parameters and your entry. it isn't totally intuitive... be sure you are not defaulting to Integer and instead have selected Single or Double, and then verify as to how many digits you are allowing right of the decimal point. Do a search on Microsoft Access table number type to pull up more information on the various parameters....

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    the #### occurs when the field size is too small and can be resolved simply by widening the field size on a form/report

the change to 0 is due to rounding is my guess; there are parameters in the number data type and you simply are not in sync as to those parameters and your entry. it isn't totally intuitive... be sure you are not defaulting to Integer and instead have selected Single or Double, and then verify as to how many digits you are allowing right of the decimal point. Do a search on Microsoft Access table number type to pull up more information on the various parameters....
    Just to expound because he is probably right, go into your table in Design View. Then on the Field that is supposed to be a percent, make sure that the properties read:

Field Size = Double
    Format = Percent

John V is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Problem entering values into field on a form.

Yup that fixed it. Thanks guys. I should have thought about the "####" thing, as Excel does the same thing if the column width is too narrow.

John V

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.