polbit is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

File Not Found error

Hello everyone, new member here...

I've created an application in Access 2010 with a back-end and user-level security via workgroup file. The application has 12 users, the back-end is on a network share, and everyone has the front-end installed locally. Everything has been working great until today, when I made a small change and installed it on users' machines. Suddenly, one and only one user is getting the File Not Found error (53) whenever he opens the database, and all form buttons produce the same result.

Any idea what could be causing it, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    did you check the linked tables to make sure they were properly connected? Maybe this person has a different drive mapped than everyone else? maybe his connection was terminated and access can't find the back end? is there any code referring to an external file? For instance are you trying to re-establish a link to a text file etc?

The file not found error means pretty much exactly that. Usually I have seen this when I am trying to process a text file and have typed in or calculated a file name or folder name incorrectly.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Make sure all linke paths use full UNC paths ( \\myserver\dir1\dir2\file.txt )
    and not drive letters. (F:\dir2)

polbit is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    did you check the linked tables to make sure they were properly connected? Maybe this person has a different drive mapped than everyone else? maybe his connection was terminated and access can't find the back end? is there any code referring to an external file? For instance are you trying to re-establish a link to a text file etc?

The file not found error means pretty much exactly that. Usually I have seen this when I am trying to process a text file and have typed in or calculated a file name or folder name incorrectly.
    Yes, I checked the network path on his machine, and it's mapped the same as all other. It was working fine on his machine until I copied a newer version, and the only change I made was handling of MS Outlook not being open.

It opens up fine when I hold Shift down, however any form I try to open or any button I try to click, it gives the same error message. Also, by default the main form shows the environ user - on his it just shows #name?... And it's not being caught by my error handling, but it's a generic pop up.

I'm really not sure what to do, other than trying to rebuild it from scratch, but it is working for everyone else...

Chris

polbit is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Make sure all linke paths use full UNC paths ( \\myserver\dir1\dir2\file.txt )
    and not drive letters. (F:\dir2)
    I changed all the linked tables to UNC paths, unfortunately that did not fix the issue...

Chris

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Post up your Environ code.

polbit is offline Novice
    Public Function getCurrentUser() As String
    getCurrentUser = Application.currentUser
    End Function

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you're trying to get the user name application.currentuser will get their permission level I think (as it's set up on the server) at least it does on mine, have you tried

environ("username")

instead?

I am assuming you want the user name not their permission.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.