novice1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

combo boxes, navigation buttons and field restrictions

Hello,

I am creating my first database in MS Access 2007 and have encountered a few issues I am hoping someone can assist with.

First: The database I am creating will hold fish records with associated catch information. Each fish is entered as a new record on the form I have designed. There are typically many fish caught in one sample, thus much of the catch information is the same for fish in the same sample. Is there a way to create two record operator buttons, one that will auto-populate certain fields based on the previous entry (for entering new fish species), and one that will lead to a blank new record (for entering a new sample)?

Second: I have created a combo box that pulls a fish identification number from an associated table (scodes) when the fish name is entered. The ID number is used in further analysis, but those entering data only know the fish names. I am looking to retain the ID number populated in the combo box in the main table that is storing all other fish catch information (table1). I have a text box (from table1) that lists the control source as equal to the combo box, but after entering a few trial records, this information is not being successfully retained in table1. Could anyone recommend a method to resolve this, or another way to set up my fields/combo boxes to achieve what I need?

Third: I am hoping to impose an if then statement if possible on one of the text fields. I would like the restriction to be 'if SPLIT_VOL=0 then SRATIO=1' and 'if SPLIT_VOL=1 then SRATIO= 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32'. Can this be done? And if so, how would I set this up?

Lastly, I changed the tab order to skip over fields that remain constant on every form (year, project number, etc), but when entering a new record, the tab order first goes through the remaining fields I skipped over on the previous record (year, project number, etc.). Is there a way to take these out of the tab order altogether?

Thank you for any insight you can provide, and my apologies if this information is already out there.

Best,
    Jamie

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Use code to set control's DefaultValue property to carry forward value to next record, review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210236

2. Use multi-column combobox, review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox3.html

3. You want to restrict user options based on value of another entry? Can use a combobox and code to set the RowSource property. This is cascading or dependent combobox.

4. Not sure what you need but TabStop property can be set to No.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.