gemadan96 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Summing group total of mileage

I have a report for Employee Travel Log. One of the controls shows the odometer reading. The travel is grouped by employee and date. In the group footer I have a control that subtracts the minimum odometer reading from the maximum odometer reading, and this is their Daily Mileage. The next day they will have a new odometer reading at the start of the day.

What I want to do is Sum all the Daily Mileages for the employee. I have tried setting a text box control in the employee group footer to = Sum([DailyMileage]) but it returns nothing.

Any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is doubtful you will be able to calculate the sum of mileage because the variant, Starting Mileage. I would create a query (don't think about anything other than Daily Mileage). In this query, create an alias the will subtract Min from Max. So you will need to include the date field and maybe the employee ID field. Make sure you have just enough fields in your query to get the correct math and also have a field to JOIN your new query as a subquery to the original.

The tricky part is getting Min and Max. May require running these aggregates first and then bringing the results to your subquery.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.