Question Developing a calendar

I need some help designing a calendar that will visually designate dates that patients come in so that I can for instance visually see that a patient was in twice last week and three times the week before.

Also, would like the calendar to differentiate types of patient visits. For example, an exam on Monday is a blue square, a regular office visit is a blue circle. Future appointments are a yellow circle and future examinations are a red square.

I am not very far into learning about Access yet so point me in the direction of help is appreciated too.
    I found a calendar on the Microsoft site but don't know how they programmed it to put the blue squares on this one.

PeterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Calendar Q.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	17073

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amrut is offline Expert
    Can you provide the link to the site where you found the above calender ?

Sure, I opened Excel, clicked on new and clicked on calendars. Any of the student calendars in there work the same as the one I pasted.

June7 is offline VIP
    There is no code in those calendar workbooks. There is no database. The cell coloring is Conditional Formatting.

Building calendar in Access using normalized data is much more complicated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I would love it if you could show me how you know that.

June7 is offline VIP
    How I know what?

That the Excel used Conditional Formatting?
    Select a calendar cell then from the ribbon: Home / Conditional Formatting / Manage Rules
    That there is no code?
    Open the VBA editor and look.
    That there is no database?
    There are no records on the worksheets aside from what is in the calendar cells.

Or that a calendar in Access with normalized data is more complicated?
    I have seen database with code for accomplishing this. Finding again is a challenge.
    See link in post 2. It's third link offers a database.
    Last edited by June7; 07-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by docpanderson View Post
    ...I am not very far into learning about Access yet so point me in the direction of help is appreciated too....
    Here are my two cents. Contact a local consultant to bid on designing an appointment app with a Calendar interface. Ask for an estimate with Automation of an existing calendar app like Outlook and an estimate for a stand alone app.

NTC is offline VIP
    As J7 notes - a calendar form is surprisingly complicated to build from the ground up. Humans take it for granted because it is so common, but in fact varying from 28 to 31 days is complex... even the Mayans gave up after awhile.... then there is the size of each day field and how much info can really fit in there..... Following the links provided by J7 and searching one will find some shareware and some to buy - - but in all cases you are going to end up working with their definition of how the calendar should work as modifying these is extremely complex.... This is one form that I think Microsoft themselves should embed as a feature of the product - but alas I am not sure there is any development of this kind happening......

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    As other have noted, calendars are tricky things with MS Access. I'm enclosing a database with a custom calendar to show you one approach.

The conditional formatting will not work with my example because I'm using list boxes instead of subforms for each date. You could theoretically have subforms for each date but it would be really cumbersome, you might, however be able to change the background color of each subform, or, alternately have another shape around the date that would accept conditional formatting (either with VBA or the toolbar help)

Anyway, it's just one method among many you could use.

CalendarExample.zip

Subwind is offline Can Only Learn
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calendar.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	17194

I have a working one, I used and edited a code I found on the web but cannot remember where I found it...

Let me know if you would like a copy of the code.

~Matt

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I think the longest thread that I have ever seen, in an Access forum, was on this subject; I finally stopped following it when it approached 400 posts and was still far from a solution!

There are times when off-the-shelf software, for a given task, just makes more sense than rolling-your-own, both money wise and time wise; and I would think that this is one of those!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

djspod is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi Subwind,

I would like a copy of the DB and code if you can share it?

Thanks

SmugglersBlues is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access Solutions by Arvin Meyer and Douglas J. Steele have easy to follow instructions for building this type of weekly calendar. I have created it and heavily modified it for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    As other have noted, calendars are tricky things with MS Access. I'm enclosing a database with a custom calendar to show you one approach.

The conditional formatting will not work with my example because I'm using list boxes instead of subforms for each date. You could theoretically have subforms for each date but it would be really cumbersome, you might, however be able to change the background color of each subform, or, alternately have another shape around the date that would accept conditional formatting (either with VBA or the toolbar help)

Anyway, it's just one method among many you could use.

CalendarExample.zip

tonycl69 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi there subwind, if you are still around and have that code I would be grateful if you could let have it, cheers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.