cuddles is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access 2010 front-end SQL Server Backend question

I know I can put my Access backend on SQL Server and then ODBC to that SQL Server on my local machine. Is it possible to give people an application that is front-end Access, just have them load it and they ODBC to this server so they have the links and then they use the front-end to do whatever with the application? We are trying to get around putting it on our Shared Drive; putting it on a remote desktop; or getting a host within the organization. The first two options will not work because people will be in and out of the file and it will be traffic jam and trying to remote in and update.........yuck.........trying to load it to your personal computer, make changes then re-upload it so the DBA can get the changes and make the updates is just really dumb...........and getting a host will take 6 months within the org due to hoops we have to jump through. So, we are trying to find alternatives. No SharePoint, tried that. Limited to 5000 rows and DBA will not increase it and we need something that can handle over 1 million rows.

hapm is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    That's what the SQL server backend is for. If you link the tables instead of importing them, you will get a linked table that stores all data on the server. If all tables are linked, you will not have any data in the frontend.

Btw: When dealing with such an amount of data (millions of records) be sure to set proper indices to the tables. We work with millions of records and can only handle them in seconds, because the indices are in place. If you have an SQL server expert let him check your queries with execution plan generation enabled on the server side. It will give some good clues for proper indices.

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    You are also using the SQL Server Security. Allow user to have different access (read only, read and write, etc).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.