krobbyzw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access 2010 Year Timeline of World History

Dear All

I have looked through the timeline queries so far on your forum and have not found an answer to this one yet. I wondered if it is in fact beyond the scope of a desktop based database application.

I have recently been working on an educational project in Excel in which I have listed all the years from 3760BC to 2050 AD on the far left hand column.
    Subsequent columns have the countries of the world in alphabetical order.
    This enables concurrent country timelines of world history that multiple history students may add to on a shared network.

I understand, however, that once an Excel spreadsheet becomes more than 10MB in size (currently 8MB), it becomes unwieldy in Excel and have been advised to upgrade the project to a database.

My question is:
    is this idea indeed beyond the scope of a database? I have an idea of how to set up a Primary Key for the years, eg 201401312000 equal to 8PM on 31 Jan 2014.
    However, when incorporating BC dates, eg 2014BC, will Access be able to keep all of the BC dates and AD dates together? Is it a simple solution of having an AD table and BC table?

I have a sample in Excel that I may send any interested people.
    Many thanks for your time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The spreadsheet setup is not a normalized data structure. There is a limit of 255 fields in Access table. There are 193+ countries, depending on how you define a country (the Vatican, Taiwan).

Table in Access would be like:

tblEvents
    ID
    EventDate
    EventDescription
    EventCountry

Appears Access cannot handle dates prior to 6/1/1352 and could not use a date/time field type so your alternate text date convention may be reasonable. Or perhaps each date part in separate number field. Need to also have a suffix (or another field) for the AD/BC. Either way, calculating elapsed time between two dates would be complicated if you wanted to calculate fractions of year.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

krobbyzw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thank you very much! Will see how I get on.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.