Ian Frost is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Create a form that can kick people out of a database

I need a form that can kick people out of a database so i can be in it exclusive to make changes/updates and compact and repair. I work with a database that is located on a drive that people in different buildings have access to. To make changes i need to be in it exclusive. I have a module that shows all active users. Our IT department said there is no way to kick everyone off at once and that I would need to contact them to see who is using the database or use the “showusers” module, then go station to station asking each user to shut down the database. Is there any kind of form I could create that would kick people out?
    Thanks for the help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    First I would not recommend kicking everyone out. What I would do is split your database into a front end/back end and have a 'development' front end database and a 'user' front end (maybe multiple copies of this depending on how many users you have). Then all you would have to do is, when you made design changes (as long as it's not to table structure in a table that someone is actively using, but if you use unbound forms this could be pretty minimal) you could copy the 'development' front end to the 'user' front end at the beginning or end of a day without having to kick anyone out and possibly corrupting/orphaning data.

If you are determined to do it your way here is an example of doing what you want:

http://p2p.wrox.com/access/5015-forc...plication.html

Another way is possibly to do time checks every hour the database is open, if the time is after, say, 5:00 PM the database shuts itself down.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.