raldrich is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Multiple Text Files Into One Table

I am running a design of experiments where I have 109 fields that represent 3 fields of actual data, 3 fields of file information, and 103 fields that represent the variables which I vary based on the design of experiment I am running. I need to keep track of all 109 fields. My simulations can take hours/days, and so I export my data (into text files) as needed from my simulation software. I have been importing my text files using Get External Data, and selecting text file, and appending all my files into one. However, I am at a point where certain runs of my simulation might be invalid, and I need a way to take out certain files after I have imported them. I have attempted to import the text files into a tables, and to create a create table query and an append query, however, since this is a design of experiments I have 103 fields where I have duplicate cell values within a field. I need to be able to keep track of the variables so that I can create a pivot chart for analyzing the data. I currently have 15 text files (ranging from 5000 records, to 100,000+ records) that need to be turned into one table, but I will need to be able to add and remove text files/tables as needed. I am very new to access, and tutorials are not helping me with what I need to do. I can't keep going through the import text file on every file I have, every time I need to remove a data set. Plus I am concerned on missing files or appending duplicate files to a table as the number of text files grow. I need to combine multiple tables into one where the field names are all the same, and most of the field values are the same. Because of the nature of my simulations, I run the same scenario (so all 103 variable fields are the exact same value up to 2000 times), and my 3 data fields are what I am concerned with (which 2 of the data columns are a true/false value; 1 or 0). What i will be doing is averaging these 2000 values to get a probability of an occurrence given a certain design of experiments. I have a feeling SQL might be what I need, but I have absolutely zero experience. I am this close to creating a vba code, but there has to be a way to do what I want to do without using a macro code. Any help, suggestions, or tips are welcome!!!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you want to be able to 'take out certain files' then need a field in table to identify this group of records. Can use the import wizard to import a text file then run an UPDATE sql to populate the group identifier field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Here's some code that will scan each file in a folder then attached it to the db, then run an import query...
    You will need to attach the 1st file, build a query to import, and the spec file.
    Then the code will attach each file and import it into the same table ,until all files have imported.
    Modify as you like.

Code:
    Public Sub ImportAllFilesInFolder()
    Dim sTbl As String, sSql As String, sPath As String, sFile As String
    Dim FSO, oFolder, oFile, oRX
    Dim vImpQry
    Const kTBL2IMP = "tTbl2Imp"     'name of the attached file
    On Error GoTo ErrImp

sPath = "C:\foldername"

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set oFolder = FSO.GetFolder(sPath)
         'empty target table
    'DoCmd.OpenQuery "qdMTdata
    For Each oFile In oFolder.Files
          'MsgBox oFile.Path
          CurrentDb.TableDefs.Delete kTBL2IMP

'link next file
          DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "SPEC NAME", kTBL2IMP, oFile.Path, True

'append
          DoCmd.OpenQuery "qaImportData"
    Next

'clear memory
    Set FSO = Nothing
    Set oFolder = Nothing
    Exit Sub
    ErrImp:
    MsgBox Err.Description, , Err
    End Sub
    Last edited by ranman256; 05-20-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: addl idea

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.