Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vermette09 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by 'update the entire database'. If you don't need features offered by more recent versions of Access, what is being updated?
    Well I'm adding new tables and fixing relationships that are incorrect or non-existent, improving reports and forms and also creating new ones. The current FE goes through VB6 so I thought it would be easier to update and maintain with an Access FE. I guess updating from 2003 isn't imperative, but I thought it would just make sense to use newer, more refreshed software if I am going to create a whole new FE with new reports and forms. If I am putting the time into it now, why not use newer software that may not be necessary now, but if we find a use for a feature later down the road, it is already there.

EDIT: I am also use to working with Access 2010 from school and like the updated interface a lot more.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As long as you understand can't just copy/paste objects from VB6 to Access. Will have to build all from scratch. VB6 and VBA are very similar languages so can possibly copy/paste a lot of code and edit as appropriate.

The only features from Access 2007/2010 I have taken advantage of are the improved Image control and expanded Conditional Formatting.

I agree with ItsMe. Unless you want web database, Access 2013 is not worth moving into.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Before adding tables and adjusting relationships, I would suggest understanding why the diagram in post #14 is not Normalized. Also, just because you develop in one version does not mean that is the version everyone has to use as a front end. It only means they need to use that version or later. Of course, there are always exceptions. Deprecation of User and Group permissions is an example.

As June mentioned, identify features/version that the business rules require and use that as a development platform. After an FE is built, determine which versions of Access are compatible with your FE(s).

I am aware of that, I have already rebuilt alot of my important queries in a copy of our current database, I have no issue with the structure and the functionality of the database, essentially I'm hung up on how to easily implement user permissions. I am going to have to do more reading on the web database capabilities of 2013, because we do have another shop at a different location that they were thinking of combining databases for to track work that is done at one shop for the other and vice versa. Do you have experience with web database in Access?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Before adding tables and adjusting relationships, I would suggest understanding why the diagram in post #14 is not Normalized

I understand why that diagram isn't normalized, it was something I threw together in excel in 5 seconds to give you a visualization of what I meant. I have already ammended 90% of the relationships in my copy of our live data, I just held back on the forms and reports because they would be easier to design in the newer software. Originally when talking with management we decided we were going to upgrade Access. In the mean time, I began my project using 2003. I guess you could say now that I have done most of the work in 2003, why don't I just stick with it, but I feel like it makes more sense to update software, especially like I said above, if we one day want to make it a web database.

If we plan to upgrade anyway, we might as well get 2013 over 2010 as there isn't a disadvantage, more so unused advantages that may be utilized in the future. If user level secrurity is not supported anymore, I might as well get away from it now and figure out an alternative. Does this make sense from the perspective of you two?

By the way, thank you very much for your time taken to answer my questions, both June and ItsMe. I really dislike being a novice in an area because I can't do much to give back knowledge, but hopefully at the end of this project, I will be able to shed some light on the problems of other users.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    If it is not a big company and you are only going to have one machine used for development, might as well get Access 2013. I can not say that with certainty though. I have never used it and have not used SharePoint either. If I was building a web interface, I would probably use some sort of .Net and Dreamweaver, avoiding SharePoint and using one of the many web host companies out there.

June7 is online now VIP
    If you want to get out of the VB6 entirely as opposed to just modifying the VB6 FE, then I certainly recommend at least 2010. Go for 2013 if there is strong interest in web database but be aware that 2013 drops quite a few features and if you don't know them, probably won't miss.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for all the info from both of you!

yes, we are a medium size company, but using database for simple recording and small scale uses. Only admin computer used for development. The current database was setup over 10 years ago and hasn't been modified since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.