rstruck is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Save file as a different user to a network folder

In Access 2010 the user can kick off a report. At the same time this will run a second report.

What I want to do is save the second report to a network folder. The user does not have permissions to this folder.
    how can I save a file with different username and password.
    the reality. At the moment a customer service rep runs a report and then runs a second report. The second report is for the finance department. The customer service rep emails the second report to the finance department or saves it to a folder that anyone can get too. We are trying to lock down the folder permissions. There is no reason a customer service rep should be able to see all the finance reports and files.

Make sense?

thanks

Rob

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Folders can have passwords? How is that done? I very much doubt can do any code in VBA to override file permissions, unless the user is already the owner or otherwise has full permissions to the folder. Otherwise, what would be the point of folder permissions?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rstruck is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    They were thinking something like , save as an Administrator, just like you can run a program as an Administrator. I figure that if I can figure out how to pass in a username and password when saving to folder. Then I can get the network people to give permissions to that folder as the elevated user. I new user name could be username = "financereportuser", password "financeme"
    Rob

June7 is offline VIP
    Still don't understand 'pass in a username and password'. Do you mean a username/password on the folder or in the database? AFAIK, folder permissions are based on the Windows login. IT sets up users with privileges. When user logs in to Windows network, those privileges for that user are applied. If user Jones is not assigned write privileges to a folder then they cannot save files to that folder.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I have not thought it all the way through but might be able to use Windows IIS server with specific group policy and make an ODBC connection to IIS folders using the ODBC Data Source Administrator to create a DNS with the appropriate User and pass.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.