Swoosh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Merging multiple mdb files into one

Hey guys!

At first let me point out that I am not an Access expert so this may be a ridiculous question to some of you. Here is a thing ... we've got a software that is creating a mdb file with one table and 10 columns. Every day we have around 30.000 entries in the table. At the end of the week we have 7 different mdb files and usually we copy/paste them into one single file to do the base research. Everything is fine until the mdb's file size is 2GB. I understand that mdb files start behaving strange with files over 2GB of size. Therefore after a couple of months we have several 2GB mdb files. When doing a history research we have to open each and every file to check and search in that file. That can take a lot of time if you have 20 or more mdb files.

What I am asking is ... if there is a possibility to merge all the 2GB files into one or maybe more so that the research wouldn't take so much time. As I said ... I am not an expert with Access. I know my way around with the computers but this is a complete mystery to me so all of your answers are welcome.

Thank you.

BR

S.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It sounds as though the solution is to use SQL Server or an equivalent as a back end.

Another approach would be to analyze the data that is exported to the mdb, in a single table, and ask why there is only one table. It sounds as though what is provided to you via the MDB is a summary report. Determine if there is duplication of data and devise an import process into an RDBMS like Access or SQL or...

In other words, turn the MDB file into an RDBMS from a DBMS in hopes of eliminating duplicate data.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If after Compact & Repair the file size is still 2GB then cannot merge the files into one.

One db can link to all of the other dbs.

Sounds like might need to migrate to SQL or Oracle. Unfortunately, both of those can be expensive. SQL does have freebie version but think has a size limitation of 4GB.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.