IannWard is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Auto delete record from one table when adding to another using a form

I have two tables with lists of serial numbers in each. I have created a form that allows me to add a new serial number to the second table, I simply scan the serial number into the form and click submit, this adds the serial number. The problem I have is that the serial number still exists in the first form. How do I automatically delete the serial number from table one when adding to table two using a form?

Many Thanks

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Are these two Tables identical, as it sounds? If so, you have a problem, as your database is seriously non-normalized. IF the answer to this question is 'yes,' you need to use a single Table and add a Boolean Field tied to a Checkbox. If the Checkbox is unticked, the Records go in the first Form; if ticked, they go in the second Form.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

IannWard is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Are these two Tables identical, as it sounds? If so, you have a problem, as your database is seriously non-normalized. IF the answer to this question is 'yes,' you need to use a single Table and add a Boolean Field tied to a Checkbox. If the Checkbox is unticked, the Records go in the first Form; if ticked, they go in the second Form.

Linq ;0)>
    First table is just a list of device serial numbers. The devices get allocated to a store, hence the second table which contains the allocated serial numbers and the store number. In my form, I enter the store number and the serial number of the device, this then adds the record to the second table, but does not delete the serial number from the first. Could I just add an extra field in table one and call it store number? Could I modify my current form to just update the record in the first table with a store number? I could still get reports this way I think. When store closes though I would need a form to delete store info from serial number in table one.

Can you tell I am new at this?

Regards

Iann

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.