dachap1983 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

two counters in form but only if XXX applies

I am creating a database for work, when an employee routes a letter for signature we have to process it. In the database, I want it to be able to not only track the letter (assigning it a tracking number) but also assign a serial number (but only if it is required). Meaning every letter will get a tracking number but not every letter will get a serial number. I have found out how to apply the tracking number, but can't figure out the serial number part. The tracking number is linked to the ID column on the table by running a query with an "update" function ([Table2]![ID]). I would like to have some sort of "if this, then that" so if I click a box that tells the database it is a letter to be serialized then it will apply a serial number. But any help would be nice.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What purpose does serial number serve? Generating unique identifier is common topic. Search forum. Here is one https://www.accessforums.net/forms/n...lly-41161.html

Don't understand the tracking number. Is this an autonumber field? What is being updated?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dachap1983 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The serial number is used as an external tracker when sent to a company outside of our building, the tracking number is for internal office use only. For example (this is how we do it now without the database), we receive a letter from the financial department, we open up excel and add it to the tracking log and annotate when we received it in admin and where we sent it to next (usually to our boss for signature)...once the letter is signed we find the tracking number in the excel sheet and update it. If the document needs to be serialized we open another excel sheet and add it here. Both are a consecutive number log sheets. In the database I am creating, the tracking number is an autonumber. When it is all said and done, we print out a report in the end for a files so we actually know what was processed throughout the year (and for inspection purposes).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.