Cgradio is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Angry Linked Tables - Tabbed Data Entry Form - Multiple Tabs from Table2

I'm trying to design a new data entry form (tabbed) for my church's membership database.

The DB has two linked tables
    • Table1 [Linked as Parent] is for Family Info...address, home phone, mailing label names, etc.
    • Table2 [Linked as Child] is for Individuals' Info within each family...personal name, cell phone, email, etc.

So a single Table1 record is likely linked to multiple Table2 records.
    What I would like to have is a tabbed data form that has Family Info on one tab and Each Individual on another tab.
    I can get Family Info on one tab and a single Individual Info on the other. I'd like the form to contain one Family Info tab form AND a tab for each of the individuals linked to the Family.
    I can't figure out a) if this is possible or b) if it's possible, how to carry it off.

If this can work, I'd also need some way to add Individuals to the Family from this form for data entry purposes.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Please ask if I've not provided sufficient detail.

Chris

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgradio View Post
    ...So a single Table1 record is likely linked to multiple Table2 records....
    I suggest you, first, create a query. You can use the query builder to create and save a named query object. use the query builder to create a JOIN with your tables. You can use the query's datasheet view to analyze the results of your query and determine if the relationship is constructed correctly.

Then, you can create a form and base your form's recordsource on the query.

Cgradio is offline Novice
    Thanks for the quick response ItsMe.
    You did see that I'm an Access novice, right?
    You lost me fairly early on, but it sounds like you're trying to verify the relationship is setup correctly. The tables are already linked, and I know the relationship works.
    I'm trying to tap into that relationship to create a data entry form where we can enter all of one family's info (include each individual's info) on a single form.
    Our current data entry form uses a sub-form. It works, but it's a bit cumbersome so I'm trying to make it more intuitive (some less savvy users coming on board for data entry).
    Clicking Individuals seems more logical than scrolling through them to the less savvy.
    Tabbed seemed like the best (most intuitive) way to go, but I can only figure out 1 Family w/1 Individual. I can't get 1-Family w/multiple tabs for each individual in that family.

Are you trying to coach through merging the two tables into one for data entry purposes? If so, will the data automatically roll back and forth from the merged (joined?) to the individual tables?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    The query I mentioned could help with data entry but will, most definitely, be necessary for viewing data. How I usually enter data is to use a combobox. The combo will allow the user to select a record from the parent table. Using the Key value from the selected record, VBA will either create a new record or filter a form's recordset.

If a main form with a subform is cumbersome, consider having a main menu open a form that has a combo. The user can build the criteria with the combo or a series of dependent combos. A submit button could open a filtered recordset or create a new record for further editing (also closing the original form with the combo(s)).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.