jeepjenn is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Unhappy Access 2010 Entry Form saves combo box (chosen) data but not text box data (autopop)

Good Morning!

I have been trying to solve this issue for quite a while! I have managed to fix everything else except this..(with very little database experience, a lot of youtube watching and forum reading.)

I have a form called File System Input Form. On the form, there are multiple Combo boxes (cboCollection). Once the data is chosen in the drop down combo box (the list pulled from another table called Collection) it autopopulates a number in the text box underneath it.

The selection in the combo box IS saved to the File System Table, but the numbers in the text boxes IS NOT.

Please....tell me this is easy to fix!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepjenn View Post
    ...it autopopulates a number in the text box underneath it...
    This would indicate the the bound column of the combobox is populating a control on the form. In order for a combobox to populate a control, the control's name should be in the combobox's "Control Source" property.

With that, said control can update a field in a table as long as said control is bound. For instance, if the control is an unbound textbox the value of the textbox will not have an effect on any table.

so if I understand you correctly, I need to make the text box bound to the table?

In most cases this would be the way to go. I understand you want to save the user input to a table. The user is selecting an option from a combo. This selection should be saved to the table. You can bind the combobox to the recordset by placing the name of the field in the combobox's "Control Source" property.
    Last edited by ItsMe; 02-08-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Incorrect statement

Thanks! I'm going to go try that! (forever hopeful that I can figure it out!)

June7 is online now VIP
    ItsMe: don't understand your last statement. How can combobox ControlSource reference another bound control?

Is the combobox saving the unique identifier of record?

Why do you need to save the value from textbox? Sounds like duplication of data, which should only be done with strong justification.

How is the textbox populated? Saving calculated value from textbox will require code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Apparently the selection from the Combobox is being assigned to the Textbox; which is really the preferred way of doing this.

The Combobox should be Unbound, and the Control Source of the Textbox should be Bound to the Field in the underlying Table.

While you can Bind the Combobox directly to the Field in the Table, that frequently leads to problems, down the road, which is why assigning the selection to another Control is preferred. For instance, in this case, if the Combobox is Bound to the underlying Field, and if an item from the Collection Table is deleted, down the road, that Control will have no data in it, simply showing #Name?. By assigning the selection to another, Bound Control, this problem is averted, when the selections in the Combobox change.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    ItsMe: don't understand your last statement. How can combobox ControlSource reference another bound control?..
    You are right. I was confused as I typed from memory. The combobox Control Source property is not to be associated with another control but is to be associated with a field name within the form's recordsource.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.