matrim33 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Using Access on a portable device for inventory

Hello. I own a small company and we are starting to move our inventory system off of Excel and on to Access. I'm fairly new to Access and was wondering if somebody might be able to help me.

I want to be able to go to our warehouse and run a custom program to check our inventory. I'd like to do this with Access if possible. Basically I would like to go to the warehouse and start scanning barcodes of the different products. I would like to do this with some barcode scanner/tablet combo (thoughts on what devices I should look at would be welcomed). Once started I would like to just be able to scan everything, if an item isn't in our inventory I would like the program to tell me. And I would like the option to input notes for items. After finishing I would like to have some sort of report that tells me what items were missing, and what items are new and not in inventory yet.

I have a guy who has made custom stuff for Access for me before. I need to give him a solid plan of what I need before he can build it, that is what I am trying to put together now.

Does this sound like something Access can handle fairly easily? Has anybody here used a Microsoft tablet for anything like this, and if so what hardware did you use? Thank you.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access for inventory is a perfect match. There is even a published template database.

Windows operating system, Access application, bar-code scanner - I haven't done but I know it has been done.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I agree and have done it. If you're talking about the MS Surface tablet, I think it has to be the Pro model. I don't think the basic Surface can run Access, though I could be wrong. I haven't used one but a buddy has one and likes it (though he dislikes Win 8).

As to scanners, they're probably all about the same. I've used a number of Wasp scanners, both wired and wireless, and had good luck with them. You just make sure the scanner sends a tab or enter at the end of the scan (most come out of the box that way in my experience), and handle the input with the before/after update events of a textbox. It isn't too difficult.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Can't give advice on hardware because I am too old. When you get a barcode reader make sure it is capable of doing what you need in the light levels and for the distances necessary. There are other things too like what kind of barcodes, how many angles the barcode reader emits light from, etc.

When I think Inventory I think large distances between server and device. Large distances between scanner and product.

Consider Wifi for real time connections to the server or some sort of way to sync the data after the user completes an inventory. If you are going to sync the data because your network will not allow for continuous connectivity, consider an FE file that would store a specific task the same way a Purchase Order or Packing List might be organized. When the user syncs with the server or BE, it would be similar to when a user enters a new PO, or receives a shipment of cargo.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    That raises a point I hadn't thought about. Historically, Access and WiFi don't play well together. Access is very sensitive to dropped connections. If you go that route, I would design this functionality with unbound forms or something along those lines (talk to the guy about it). Not saying it won't work, just that you need to take into account the limitations/dangers in the design.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

matrim33 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thanks a bunch guys. I think I will look at getting the older Surface Pro, maybe used. The only thing I will be using it for is this task. I do believe I read that the pro one was the only that would run the full office.

I'm not sure I need to even go with wireless. I just need to run the program, I don't need to edit anything in my database. I can do that manually later.

Now to find a good scanner...

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Buying some inexpensive equipment that barely meets your requirements or just misses the mark may help you to build a model that could be implemented later. What I am getting at is you may be able to scan into a spreadsheet and then import the spreadsheet. Consider investing time into training one or two power users vs. a large user friendly app and expensive equipment.

The initial investment could illustrate needs that are not currently obvious. If the initial hardware is not adequate you could possibly find a use for it at a workstation or for further R and D.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.