Jrw76 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

language for counting records.

I have a Table called 'Label Plate Data'. I need to count the number of records, which isn't a problem. This is the Code I used:

SELECT Count(*) AS [Total Plates]
    FROM [LABEL PLATE DATA];

But in this same query, I need to count the number of records where a field is NOT empty. That field is 'Installed By'.

This query also needs to be populated by the decision of a users input for another field. That field is called 'Hull'.

So, when the query is run, it will ask the user Which Hull, then user then inputs the hull number and two values will be returned.

in specified hull-
    1: Total number of records and
    2: Total number of records where Installed by has data.

Please help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    didn't check syntax but something like:

SELECT Count(*) as TotalPlates, sum(iif(isnull([installed by]), 1, 0)) as BlankInstalls
    FROM [Label Plate Data]
    WHERE [Hull] = [Enter the Hull Parameter]

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Try:

SELECT Count(*) AS [Total Plates], Sum(IIf(IsNull([Installed By]), 0, 1) AS [Total Installed] FROM [LABEL PLATE DATA] WHERE [Hull]=[input hull ID];

I never use dynamic input parameter popups. Can't validate user entry. Better to have input into control on form and reference the control as parameter.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

This is real close to working- for BlankInstalls, I'm getting '5', but I should only be getting 1. Any ideas as to why?

LOL, this is working just the opposite of RPeares, I have 369 records, 364 installed. I should have 369 records, 1 installed.

I just took out the one record where installed by had a value, reran the query and blankinstalls went up to 6

June7 is offline VIP
    What do you mean by 'blank'? Do you allow empty strings in tables? Empty string and Null are not the same thing.

What do you mean by 'took out' - just changed the field value, not delete record?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What do you mean by 'blank'? Do you allow empty strings in tables? Empty string and Null are not the same thing.

What do you mean by 'took out' - just changed the field value, not delete record?
    Blank installs is what you named the field. It's actually number of plates installed, so I renamed it to "Plates Installed".

Took out- I went into the table and deleted the value that was entered into 'Installed By' so I could see what value was returned. I expected 4 (1 less than the 5 that was returned by the query originally), but I got 6, one more.

June7 is offline VIP
    Want to provide db? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

believe me, I'd love to...however, I can't because of nature of my job, however, I may have it figured out...Allowed zero length needs to be set to 'No', is that right?

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, if you want to prevent empty strings. But think you will have to scrub the data first by replacing empty strings with null otherwise will probably get invalid data error when try to save modified table.

First, try:

SELECT Count(*) AS [Total Plates], Sum(IIf(Nz([Installed By],"")="", 0, 1) AS [Total Installed] FROM [LABEL PLATE DATA] WHERE [Hull]=[input hull ID];

Awesome!

thank you

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.