data808 is offline Noob
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Password For Table Only

Is there a way to put a password to open tables only? I have a form that many clerks will be using and I just don't want them to be able to open the table without a password.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I have not try this.

The idea is "link tables with access files that is password protected". Wonder if that will work.

data808 is offline Noob
    But isn't the table within the access file? Unless you mean put a password protection on the access file itself? But then it would just ask for a password when you open the file. Which would then give access to the tables anyway. I need something that can lock the table from view. The best solution I got at the moment is to hide the navigation pane or even hide the table itself but if someone that knows the options of access uses this, they will be able to find the tables.

lfpm062010 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I guess I did not explain clearly.

The idea is that you have 2 (or more) Access databases (Access Files). You put the tables that you want to be protected by a password in one files (we call this "PROTECTACCESS"). You use the other access database (access file) to run your queries/forms/macros/reports (we will call this "RUNACCESS").

In "RUNACCESS" file you link the tables from the "PROTECTACCESS" file. So, when you access the table that is linked, it should ask you for a password ("PROTECACCESS" password).

I hope this will be clear.

data808 is offline Noob
    Isn't that called frontend and backend databases? So the backend would be the PROTECTACCESS file and the frontend would be the RUNACCESS file. I tried this but when you link the table from PROTECTACCESS to RUNACCESS it won't allow you to do that because it has a password on it. So you need to use the import wizard to import the table from another Access file. I then used the "Link to the data source by creating a linked table" option. Which also states as a NOTE: If the source database requires a password, the password will be stored with the linked table. Meaning I won't be required to provide a password to open the linked table from the RUNACCESS file because it will be stored with the table and I have tried this and it lets me open the table no problem with no password. So this is not what I want for the user to have access to.

Thanks for the help though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.