Matzer is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Combo Box has right amount of values, but they aren't showing up

Hi!

I'm sure this question has been answered before. I've searched for about 2 weeks on how to fix this problem and I just can't figure it out. I've started over so many times.

I'm creating a form where people can choose something in the first combo box [ComboBox1] which results in the second combo box [ComboBox2] displaying only the items that are associated with the first combo box [ComboBox1].

In my second combo box I have the amount of "empty lines" that equals with the items associated with the first combo box. But there is nothing displaying. No words.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Can you post the Rowsouce and the Column Width of your combobox?

Matzer is offline Novice
    Combo 1

Rowsource: SELECT tblPortfolio.ID, tblPortfolio.[PortfolioName] FROM tblPortfolio ORDER BY tblPortfolio.[PortfolioName];
    Column Width: 0cm;2.54cm

Combo 2:

RowSource:SELECT tblDepartment.ID, tblDepartment.DepartmentName, tblDepartment.Portfolio FROM tblDepartment WHERE (((tblDepartment.Portfolio)=Forms![Combo Form]!Portfolio)) ORDER BY tblDepartment.DepartmentName;
    Column Width: 0cm;7.223cm;0cm

Windows XP Access 2003
    Without using VBA I do not see another way other than changing the Bound column of Combo 1. Change the property of Combo 1's "Bound Column to equal 2

I recomend this if it does not impact how your form functions. If you need the ID column in another procedure, you could get it using
    Me.Combo_1.Collumn(0)
    in VBA

Matzer is offline Novice
    I've got this going in VBA for Combo 1 After Update (I've tried so many things, I think I got this part on the Microsoft site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.12).aspx) )

Private Sub Combo1_AfterUpdate()
    ' Update the row source of the Combo2 combo box
    ' when the user makes a selection in the Combo1
    ' combo box.
    Me.Combo2.RowSource = "SELECT DepartmentName FROM" & _
    " tblDepartment WHERE Portfolio = " & _
    Me.Combo1 & _
    " ORDER BY DepartmentName"

Me.Combo2 = Me.Combo2.ItemData(0)

End Sub

Windows XP Access 2003
    I now see a problem in the Original Row Source property you posted. The combo name was not in there. So you would have to change bound column for combo1, as sugested, and paste this into the rowsource of Combo2

Code:
    RowSource:SELECT tblDepartment.ID, tblDepartment.DepartmentName, tblDepartment.Portfolio FROM tblDepartment WHERE (((tblDepartment.Portfolio)=Forms![Combo Form]!Combo1)) ORDER BY tblDepartment.DepartmentName;
    Considering the Row Source you first posted, the VBA option would be to build your SQL string like this

Code:
    Private Sub Combo1_AfterUpdate()
    ' Update the row source of the Combo2 combo box
    ' when the user makes a selection in the Combo1
    ' combo box.

Me.Combo2.RowSource = "SELECT tblDepartment.ID, tblDepartment.DepartmentName, tblDepartment.Portfolio" & _
                          " FROM tblDepartment WHERE tblDepartment.Portfolio)='" & Me.Combo1.Column(2) & "'" & _
                          " ORDER BY tblDepartment.DepartmentName;"

End Sub

Matzer is offline Novice
    Thanks! I think we may get there soon!
    As soon as I try to bring the combo box 2 down, I now get:
    "This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables."
    So I put this:
    RowSource:SELECT tblDepartment.ID, tblDepartment.DepartmentName, tblDepartment.Portfolio FROM tblDepartment WHERE ((tblDepartment.Portfolio)=Forms![Combo Form]!Combo1) ORDER BY tblDepartment.DepartmentName;

Windows XP Access 2003
    If you are using VBA to assign the RowSource, you can delete all of the text in the property window for the Row Source field. It is not needed unless you want a default Row Source to be applied in conjunction with the VBA event handler.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are these comboboxes on the same form? Is tblDepartment Portfolio field the foreign key field for the primary key ID field from tblPortfolio? Is this a datasheet or continuous view form?

Consider:

Combo1:

Rowsource: SELECT ID, PortfolioName FROM tblPortfolio ORDER BY PortfolioName;
    Column Width: 0cm;2.54cm
    BoundColumn: 1
    AfterUpdate event procedure code: Me.Combo2.Requery

Combo 2:

RowSource: SELECT ID, DepartmentName FROM tblDepartment WHERE Portfolio=[Combo1] ORDER BY DepartmentName;
    Column Width: 0cm;7.223cm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.