GAtkins is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Having Trouble With Nested IIF Stmt When Trying To Pick The Min of Three Values

Forum members,

I am having trouble with a nested IIF Statement when trying to select the minimum of three values.

I have three possible values that I am trying to pick a buy target (BTTHREE) from. I have an "AvailToSpend" column, a "NeedToSpend column, and a "5PctFxd" column.

I need an expression in another column to pick the minimum value from the three possible values.

This expression is the closest I have come.

BTTHREE: IIf([AvailToSpend]<=[NeedToSpend],IIf([AvailToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[AvailToSpend],[5PctFxd]),[5PctFxd])

I have 96 rows returned by the particular query. The expression above returns the minimum value of the three in every case EXCEPT WHERE the "NeedToSpend" column is LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO the "AvailToSpend" column, in which case the expression returns the "5PctFxd" value. This occurs in 4 of the 96 records returned by the query.

It seems like I have tried a million different ways to get this right and just can't seem to do it.

Any help on that expression or an easier way to return the minimum of three values will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn

June7 is online now VIP
    It's because of the = sign.

Is 5PctFxd always less than NeedToSpend? Or vice versa? Or can either be lower than the other?

Try:

BTTHREE: IIf([AvailToSpend]<[NeedToSpend], IIf([AvailToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[AvailToSpend],[5PctFxd]), [NeedToSpend])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If any of the three can be smaller, then you need to make sure there are always two levels of comparison.
    Code:
    BTTHREE: IIF([AvailToSpend]<[NeedToSpend],
                 IIF([AvailToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[AvailToSpend],[5PctFxd]),
                 IIF([NeedToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[NeedToSpend],[5PctFxd]))
    Equal values can go either way and have the same results, so I don't code for <= in this situation.

GAtkins is offline Novice
    Thank you very much! This the perfect solution because indeed any of the three can be smaller. I just couldn't quite get my head around the logic. Thanks so much again.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Dal Jeanis View Post
    If any of the three can be smaller, then you need to make sure there are always two levels of comparison.
    Code:
    BTTHREE: IIF([AvailToSpend]<[NeedToSpend],
                 IIF([AvailToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[AvailToSpend],[5PctFxd]),
                 IIF([NeedToSpend]<[5PctFxd],[NeedToSpend],[5PctFxd]))
    Equal values can go either way and have the same results, so I don't code for <= in this situation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.