Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

do until not giving me individual results

I have made a send object loop through every record however for some reason they are giving me the same subject instead of an individual one

each record should get a different subject according to their name

eventually I will make each email go to each schools email - but I want to get this working correctly first (I don't want to email one school 2000 emails)

I have

Code:
    If IsNull(Me.txtMessageBody) Or IsNull(Me.txtMessageBody) Or IsNull(Me.Text38) Then
    MsgBox "Please ensure that you have the type of school, year, show and email message filled, once they have been selected as the minimum requirment for this form to work you can then email."
    Else

Dim attch1 As String
    Dim attch2 As String
    Dim messagebody As String
    Dim emsubject As String
    Dim emailcont As String
    Dim thecount As String
    Dim mresponse As Integer
    Dim naofsc As String

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone

rs.MoveFirst
    rs.MoveLast
    thecount = rs.RecordCount

messagebody = Me.txtMessageBody
    emsubject = Me.txtSubject

If thecount <= 0 Then
    Set rs = Nothing
    Exit Sub
    End If

mresponse = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to email " & thecount & " contacts?", vbYesNo, "Continue")

If mresponse = vbYes Then

rs.MoveFirst
    Do Until rs.EOF

naofsc = me.SchoolName

DoCmd.SendObject , , , "email@email.com.au", , , emsubject & " " & naofsc, messagebody, no

rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    MsgBox "all done"

Else
    MsgBox "You have cancelled emailing"
    End If
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing

End If
    What have I gotten wrong?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You need to assign your string variables the value of the current record in the DAO recordset, not the current record of the Object for the Class Module. The Me. is a shortcut for the Object that owns the Class Module you are in. It replaces something like Forms!frmName

So maybe something like
    rs![SchoolName]

You Set rs to = the DAO recordset. In this case, it is a recordset clone. Reference the recordset clone using what you declared. rs not Me or Forms!frmName. You are looping through the recordset clone not the form's recordset. The form's recordset is not moving.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I just figured that one out myself before I could answer you - much office joy

everything works, apologies

I am going to reference the school email this way too

so rs!SchoolEmail

er I get error when I do naofsc = rs!SchoolEmail

could it be because it's asking to put an email address in the subject field (I just want to test this first)

Windows XP Access 2003
    You need to do a lot within the loop. Get all of your string variables in there and also Open and close your report. Test it out with a short list before you go after the schools. You could test it by opening and closing the reports with a msgbox before closing. The msgbox will cause the loop to pause. You can look at the report and make sure it is the correct criteria.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    You need to do a lot within the loop. Get all of your string variables in there and also Open and close your report. Test it out with a short list before you go after the schools. You could test it by opening and closing the reports with a msgbox before closing. The msgbox will cause the loop to pause. You can look at the report and make sure it is the correct criteria.

It dies when I get to a null email field

so I tried naofsc = Nz(rs!SchoolEmail, "email@address.com.au")

and it works however I would like not one email sent if the field is null (sort of skip the record)

any recommendations?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Don't include Null fields in your recordset.

Put the Is Null criteria in your query for the form, if it is a recordset clone. Or filter out Nulls. The recordset clone will look at filtered results in the form. For instance, if the user filters out user ID's that equal 12 and then creates the recordset clone, User Id 12 will not be in the clone.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Don't include Null fields in your recordset.

Put the Is Null criteria in your query for the form, if it is a recordset clone. Or filter out Nulls. The recordset clone will look at filtered results in the form. For instance, if the user filters out user ID's that equal 12 and then creates the recordset clone, User Id 12 will not be in the clone.
    hmmm... I guess I will have to do that.

I would have to filter the form before the email schools button was pressed - to ensure the user filters out the nulls in the field.

The control changes to a different email field depending on what value in the group box I have (pictured)

I am going to make an if statement that swaps the string for the checked value from the group

so if value = 1 then

emailstring = rs!LibraryEmail
    elseif
    value = 2 then

emailstring = rs!Dramaemail

end if

I don't quite know if I should do this before the dountil or inside of it - I was thinking outside the loop/above or does it need to be in each step?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	14658

Windows XP Access 2003
    I would do it before. You can copy any existing filter into a string. Then you can concatenate any existing filter that may be there to your additional criteria, to include Is Null. Remove filter, have filter = new concatenated string, then filter = new string, filter = true.

Then Recordset clone

Ruegen is offline VIP
    I would do it before. You can copy any existing filter into a string. Then you can concatenate any existing filter that may be there to your additional criteria, to include Is Null. Remove filter, have filter = new concatenated string, then filter = new string, filter = true.

Then Recordset clone
    that is what I thought however filtering depending on the chosen field

Me.Filter = "[Area] Like '*" & Me.Text36 & "*'" & IIf(Not IsNull(Me.Text38), " and SchoolTypeID=" & Me.Text38, "") & IIf(Not IsNull(Me.txtStates), " and StateID=" & Me.txtStates, "")
    Me.FilterOn = True

I would have to add the control so that no matter what the control is when changed by the option group - the filter changes to it.

not sure how to concatenate that - I was thinking of adding & not isnull(me.txtSchoolEmail) however tacking on the end I know won't work...

Windows XP Access 2003
    Seems like you need to check one more field for null. Wasn't it he Email address field or something. Between nz and Isnull, I am sure you can get something to work. I need to get some sleep. One last thing though. You might want to check if there is an existing filter before applying your own programaticaly. Maybe

If me.filterOn = true then

strWhere = Me.filter

end if.

Then concatenate the existing filter (strWhere) to the other criteria you need to add. Just to avoid issues if the User is trying to use intrinsic filter controls.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Seems like you need to check one more field for null. Wasn't it he Email address field or something. Between nz and Isnull, I am sure you can get something to work. I need to get some sleep. One last thing though. You might want to check if there is an existing filter before applying your own programaticaly. Maybe

If me.filterOn = true then

strWhere = Me.filter

end if.

Then concatenate the existing filter (strWhere) to the other criteria you need to add. Just to avoid issues if the User is trying to use intrinsic filter controls.
    I made a dim clickemailchange as string on form load

then when you click the options the clickemailchange gets the new field

clickemailchange = "SchoolEmail"

(I even have a little label that shows me what the dim is by getting the dim to change the label text just to test)

now I can filter the clickemailchange null or not null except I don't know how to concatenate to filter the form according to what the dim is representing

Windows XP Access 2003
    If all you have left is to validate the Email field within your recordset, you could validate within your loop. Just enclose the task of sending hte email within the validation. Here I use the function I showed you the other day to test for both Null and empty string. Also, if you only want to email to a specific domain, you can use the InStr function to make sure you are not emailing outside the domain.

Code:
     Do Until rs.EOF
        If Not isNothing(rs![EmailAddress]) Then

strEMail = rs![EmailAddress]

If InStr(2, naofsc, "@SchoolDomain.com") Then 'Check and see if a valid school address
                    DoCmd.SendObject , , , "email@email.com.au", , , emsubject & " " & naofsc, messagebody, no
                End If 'Valid school address

End If 'Check for Email Address
    rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    However, it seems you still may need to validate other fields such as SchoolName. You could add another If Then statement and use the isNothing Function. I would add it as the first check.

Something Like

Code:
    Do Until rs.EOF
        If Not isNothing(rs![SchoolName]) Then 'Check for School Name

naofsc = rs![SchoolName]

If Not isNothing(rs![EmailAddress]) Then 'Check for Email Address

strEmail = rs![EmailAddress]

If InStr(2, naofsc, "@SchoolDomain.com") Then 'Check and see if a valid school address

End If 'Check for School Name

rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    If it was me, I would assign the recordsource of the form at the load event of the form using an SQL string. I would declare two string variables at the top of the module below the haeader.

Dim strSQL as String
    dim strWhere as String

In the load event of the form I would assign the recordsource via the SQL string. You can base it off of a saved query.

Code:
    strWhere = "FieldPK > 0"

strSQL = "SELECT MyQry.* " & _
                 "FROM MyQry " & _
                 "WHERE " & strWhere & _
                 "ORDER BY [FieldPK];"

Me.RecordSource = strSQL
    Now I can adjust strWhere at anytime I like.
    strWhere = (strWhere & " AND ") & "[SomeField] = '" & Me.txtField.Value & "'"

Now that strWhere is adjusted, I can adjust strSQL

Code:
                 "FROM MyQry " & _
                 "WHERE " & strWhere & _
                 "ORDER BY [FieldPK];"
    Now I can avoid touching the form and jusat open up a DAO recordset based on the SQL string I created.

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

Ruegen is offline VIP
    If all you have left is to validate the Email field within your recordset, you could validate within your loop. Just enclose the task of sending hte email within the validation. Here I use the function I showed you the other day to test for both Null and empty string. Also, if you only want to email to a specific domain, you can use the InStr function to make sure you are not emailing outside the domain.

Code:
     Do Until rs.EOF
        If Not isNothing(rs![EmailAddress]) Then

strEMail = rs![EmailAddress]

rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    However, it seems you still may need to validate other fields such as SchoolName. You could add another If Then statement and use the isNothing Function. I would add it as the first check.

Something Like

Code:
    Do Until rs.EOF
        If Not isNothing(rs![SchoolName]) Then 'Check for School Name

naofsc = rs![SchoolName]

If Not isNothing(rs![EmailAddress]) Then 'Check for Email Address

strEmail = rs![EmailAddress]

End If 'Check for School Name

rs.MoveNext
    Loop
    If it was me, I would assign the recordsource of the form at the load event of the form using an SQL string. I would declare two string variables at the top of the module below the haeader.

Dim strSQL as String
    dim strWhere as String

In the load event of the form I would assign the recordsource via the SQL string. You can base it off of a saved query.

Code:
    strWhere = "FieldPK > 0"

"FROM MyQry " & _
                 "WHERE " & strWhere & _
                 "ORDER BY [FieldPK];"

Me.RecordSource = strSQL
    Now I can adjust strWhere at anytime I like.
    strWhere = (strWhere & " AND ") & "[SomeField] = '" & Me.txtField.Value & "'"

Now that strWhere is adjusted, I can adjust strSQL

Code:
                 "FROM MyQry " & _
                 "WHERE " & strWhere & _
                 "ORDER BY [FieldPK];"
    Now I can avoid touching the form and jusat open up a DAO recordset based on the SQL string I created.

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)
    I will need to check only the email field whether it is there or not and depending on what field I have switched it to.

I was placing:

Code:
    If Me.Frame63 = 1 Then
        If Not isNothing(rs![1ContactEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![1ContactEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 2 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![6EnglishEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![6EnglishEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 3 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![2LibrarianEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![2LibrarianEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 4 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![4MusicEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![4MusicEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 5 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![3DramaEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![3DramaEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 6 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![5WelfareEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs![5WelfareEmail]
        End If
    ElseIf Me.Frame63 = 7 Then
      If Not isNothing(rs![SchoolEmail]) Then
        emailofsc = rs!SchoolEmail
        End If
    End If
    at the time I wasn't sure what isnothing was but went with it anyway until I ran it - I haven't declared that function in order to call it.

Where did you have that function typed? I am guessing this is another library I don't have checked?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruegen View Post
    .......I wasn't sure what isnothing was but went with it anyway until I ran it - I haven't declared that function in order to call it.

Where did you have that function typed? I am guessing this is another library I don't have checked?
    Check your PM's. I sent it to you a while back. It is a user defined function. I believe it is relevant since the users may be saving records after they cleared a field and may leave empty strings in the EMail field. To test the code you have now, you could use IsNull() until after you get the function into a General Module.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Check your PM's. I sent it to you a while back. It is a user defined function. I believe it is relevant since the users may be saving records after they cleared a field and may leave empty strings in the EMail field. To test the code you have now, you could use IsNull() until after you get the function into a General Module.
    facepalm for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.