libraccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

DB in development BLOAT

A DB I've had going on (developing) the sideline for a while, I thought was just over 5MB seemed to grow suddenly to 6.5MB. No Compact and Repair could help and it has been bugging me. No amount of scrutiny of objects could sort this out.
    So I Created a New Blank DB and copied all objects.

Whoh 4.2 MB. So I'm puzzled by this. Now I'm thinking maybe this a good process to apply when DB completion is near. Thoughts, opinions, judgements, suggestions ??

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If C&R did not fix, possibility something in db corrupted.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by libraccess View Post
    .......... Now I'm thinking maybe this a good process to apply when DB completion is near. Thoughts, opinions, judgements, suggestions ??
    I have been doing a similar thing. I have templates that I try to keep as pristine as possible. I will do development in a copy and when I get things to be how I like them, I transfer the good stuff into a template. Now I have a new template to work from and I start again.

One way I judge, let's say, a form, is to create a control and see what number is automatically assigned to its name. If the number is well beyond the actual number of controls then I do not sleep so well.

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    I have to agree that that is a good process for initial deployment. No telling what "invisible" objects are taking up the space. If you REALLY wanted to know, you could code a VBA that would connect to the old database and compare each table to its prior version, noting all differences. Can't say I have enough time or curiousity to do something like that, though.

libraccess is offline Competent Performer
    June 7 Yes that is what concerned me - corruption seems to creep - and this might have been a good indicator. Thanks

ItsMe So I guess I'll be doing this from now on. And yes I've noticed the number Access assigns and thought "Whoah" have I added that many objects to this form - another good indicator maybe

Dal Jeanis well I also agree now, I also agree on not having the time nor curiosity (or maybe even the nous) to follow thru with

Thanks to all and I feel that was a valuable lesson

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.