thekval is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Error 2950 after reloading Office 2007 on newer PC's... HELP!!

I have quite a few desktop PC's that were getting incredibly old. I ordered some barebones kits and reloaded XP onto these machines since they were working okay, just old and slow. To give you an idea of age, I had to download and install service pack 3 on all these machines.

I reloaded Office 2007 on all these machines. I only have one db that acts as a front end to another JET db. Both db's reside in the same folder on the server. I set up the folder as a trusted location, and enabled all macros.

When one of the new PC's opens a scheduling form and enters a ship date and truck, they click a command button that has a macro attached to it. It's pretty straight-forward, open a query, then another one, etc. When it opens an append query, that's when we get the "action cannot be performed" message and when you click "okay" it lists which query and the error code 2950.

Funny thing is, everyone whose PC's I have not updated can run the form just fine with no errors. I can run it on a Windows 7 machine, the order desk person can run it on her PC with Vista, and the others with XP can run it as well. Just these new PC's have issues with it.

I've read a lot of the threads on this issue. I've even gone to the extreme of going to the server and explicitly giving each of the users full control over that folder. I'm at a loss and need to get these PC's working before heading South in a few days.

HELP!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why would reloading the same operating system and Office version help pc perform better? Did the pc's run faster after the reconfiguration?

Instead of running a saved query object, try accomplishing the UPDATE action with VBA.

CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tablename Set fieldname=somevalue"

I know that doesn't explain cause but if you can get around it, mission accomplished. If that doesn't work then there is something seriously wrong with the install and sorry, I have no idea what.

Except, I did have an issue once with upgrading Access and had to uninstall/reinstall. Unfortunately, the uninstall does not really remove everything. I had to go find a tool that really cleaned out everything related to Access then run install. http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport...-products.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sounds like it might be a trusted locations thing. On the new machines, you can do a regedit to add the FE folder on the server as a trusted location.

Why don't you just place copies of the FE on the client machines? Then, when the user opens the file they can agree to trusting the file? Anyway, here is a link... I can't really offer any help because I have not run across this problem myself.

http://www.accessribbon.de/en/?Trust...sted_Locations

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, the PC's are a lot, lot faster.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I've done all the permissions checks. I've added the folder on the server as a trusted location including subfolders. I've even gone to the extreme of explicitly granting each user read/write/manage permissions on that folder at the server level. I tried, as you suggested, to copy the database to the user's desktop and run it from there. Since it wasn't a trusted location, I enabled content at the error message and ran the macro. Still got the crash when the macro ran the append query. I'll try the uninstall/reinstall next.

Thanks.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    When the macro was built, did it use a mapped drive? I don't build Access macros but, I would guess maybe it is looking for a path that does not exist with the new client, ie drive T: vs. drive Z:

Just a wild guess on my part. I imagine everything working fine until a macro looks for a DB file it can not find. Maybe rather than something like CurrentDB or CurrentPath, something literal was used to build the macro. I really don't know though

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.