dhmlofi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Coding or Access installation issues?

Hi
    I've been creating a database for a client. They have two pc's running off a server. We've had two issues crop up on one pc that don't crop up on the other. I'm thinking it might be something do with the access installation or windows rather than the database but want to run it past someone to see if they agree.

One error happens when we try to print preview a report. The message is:

There was a problem retrieving printer information for this object. The object may have been sent to a printer that is unavailable.

Is there something I can do in Access to check/resolve this, or would it be at the printer end (and therefore for their IT guy)?

The second error is when I click a button to open a report. It works fine on my pc and on one of theirs but when I try on the problem one it takes be to the debug of VB. It doesn't like the DoCmd.OpenReport line. My code is as follows:

Private Sub cmdOpnFax_Click()

If DLookup("[FaxType]", "Suppliers", "[SupplierID] = Forms!OrderHeader!SupplierID") = 2 Then
    DoCmd.OpenReport "OrderFaxHeaderDoors", acViewPreview, acEdit, "[OrderID]=Forms!OrderHeader!OrderID"

ElseIf DLookup("[FaxType]", "Suppliers", "[SupplierID] = Forms!OrderHeader!SupplierID") = 1 Then
    DoCmd.OpenReport "OrderFaxHeaderComponents", acViewPreview, acEdit, "[OrderID]=Forms!OrderHeader!OrderID"
    End If

End Sub

I can't see why that code should work fine on two pcs and not on another? I tried reinstalling the front end but it was the same.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SteveH2508 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    If you do not have a printer installed on a PC or you have set a particular printer for a report which is not available then Access gets in a right muddle. Check for an installed printer and set your reports to the default printer.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you tried opening the report directly while on the new PC? Maybe there is something in the report that needs an Office reference or ActiveX or something that is not available on the new PC.

Do the printers operate on a network? Do they have printer names? Maybe you are not calling your print jobs to the default printer but calling a printer name, a name that is hardcoded in VBA or, like mentioned before, in the report's properties. The printer may have been installed on the new computer using a different port/name

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks SteveH250 and ItsMe for your replies. I'll look into what you suggest, though I've set nothing in particular for the reports/printers. In all the work I've done with Access I've never needed to do anything with print settings for reports. It all just works on default settings - and in this case the report is set to 'default printer'; I just checked. All my code is pretty basic too. Is there something in Access Options I can lookat also?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I am not aware of global settings at the client or data base level. You can use VBA to spool print jobs on a centralized printer by using its name. The only other way, I know is like what is mentioned in post #2. There are settings in Page Setup.

THe only thing I can think of is try to muscle the report open on the new PC. Try to eliminate areas where the problem may be. It will be a lot easier if there is a full version of Access on the new machine.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ok thanks, I'll try what you suggest.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.