Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Question Security concerns

Note: Note sure if this belongs on the access forum or sql forum.

I am preparing to move an Access 2000 database to Access 2013 with linked tables in MSSQL. Can I use windows authentication seemlessly with MSSQL and Access or will there be a need to code in logins to the MSSQL server?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know for sure and I can not speak for 2013 specifically but...

You can create an SQL ODBC connection to SQL Server. When you make the connection, it will require you to use windows authentication to make the connection. I believe at this point you can specify if the connection is for a specific user or the machine you are on.

I can't imagine it would be a problem. When you make the DSN at the server you should be able to specify in the security settings weather or not you want to require user authentication each time. I know I have in the past for IIS in Webservers.

The only security concerns I can imagine would be if you have special rules at the table level. A normal accdb file may not play well with some of those rules and an Access project file may be better suited. Simply speculation on my part. Thought I would mention it as something to investigate.

Why not try it out in a lab setting? You might get the answers you are looking for downloading the express edition and running it on a stand alone PC. You should be able to simulate most scenarios on the one machine.

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Currently I do not have a test lab setup in the clean room. Waiting on IT to have the machine setup =\. Thank you for all the points. I will search for white papers on what you have mentioned.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Perceptus View Post
    Currently I do not have a test lab setup in the clean room. Waiting on IT to have the machine setup =\. Thank you for all the points. I will search for white papers on what you have mentioned.
    Grab a laptop, load an OS onto a USB stick and head on over to Starbucks. You could be in ODBC/Frappuccino heaven in a couple of hours!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.