tiburon1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Question Hardware locked Software

I have a POS which is hardware locked. The software is written in VB and the database is MS SQL server. I want to be able to unlock this software so I can install the POS in a newer computer because my old computer is about to die. The vendor doesn't seem to exist anymore so I can't go to them.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't understand what you mean by locked and unlocked. You reference hardware and then software. What is it exactly you can not get into?

If the developer locked down the application itself, you are probably out of luck if it is not compatible with newer OS versions. I suppose he could have hard coded a licensing key that matched the serial number of a CPU. This would be to avoid installation on more than one computer. If the developer went out of their way to make sure the application only works on one computer because of licensing rules, you are pretty much out of luck.

Windows XP Access 2000
    My software is locked for installing into a newer computer or modifying my existing computer. That means even if I decide to put more RAM into my old system it will not let me execute my POS software. What needs to be done is find the file in Visual Basic and edited. Question is what file and what EXT.

Windows XP Access 2003
    It sounds like the developer went after all of the shell settings and hardcoded them into the VBA. Sounds like you will have to hack the file. Hard to tell where, how, what ext you need. If the developer did not want the application to work elsewhere, it will be difficult at best to get it to do so.

Windows XP Access 2000
    It seems I need to post this question to the right forum where techs are more familiar with this type of problem.

Windows XP Access 2003
    It is a shame the developer skipped town, so to speak.

Windows XP Access 2000
    It seems there is a way I can work around it in the config file. I put this Code in the end:

<add key= "StationsCfg" value="0" />

Now if I change the value="no" it give me a message the program has to close down due to an error. So this tells me StationsCfg is the right key work but I am not adding something in right. Maybe you can see what I am not seeing.

Windows XP Access 2003
    You may have let the smoke out. I can appreciate your desire to get this app onto a newer machine. I simply believe it would be easier to push a garden hose down the street.

Windows XP Access 2000
    I need some technical solutions not words that get me nowhere. The config file can be edited to bypass the security feature.. Just to need to know how..

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    How brave are you? You might use RegEdit to search through the registry to see if you can find the install key/product key for your program.

Another outside possibility is Magic Jellybean Keyfinder. (freeware utility) http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    It has helped me in the past.

Probably try Magic Jellybean Keyfinder first.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    How brave are you? You might use RegEdit to search through the registry to see if you can find the install key/product key for your program.

Another outside possibility is Magic Jellybean Keyfinder. (freeware utility) http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    It has helped me in the past.

Probably try Magic Jellybean Keyfinder first.
    I used Regedit and keyfinder but the software is not listed when I do a search. Would this key be in the registry or would it be in the POS folder?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Most programs nowadays use the registry.
    You might find a configuration file or .ini in the POS folder. Could also be a hidden file.
    Do a search in windows for "ini". The configuration could be in the /Windows folder or /Windows/system32 folder.

I am surprised you didn't find any reference to the POS program in the registry.

The software is written in VB and the database is MS SQL server.
    Way out suggestion...... Did you check the SQL server for a (hidden) table that might store configuration info?

Parsonshere is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I don't know much but here are my thoughts.
    The new computer will either have to have Access or Runtime installed. Is that done. I would guess the free 2007 runtime would probably work for 2000 or later.
    You will need the certificate to stop the security warning every day, or just hit open anyway.
    Make sure the path to the backend Sequel DB is exactly the same path as the old computer.
    I have never made an install package(to my satisfaction), and not quite sure how the pros do it, but I have done the above with my own quite often.
    But then, I don't even know what a config file would be for in Access, unless it's older that 2000, in which case this won't work anyway. I wouldn't think the config file really had anything to do with Access working.

Windows XP Access 2000

Hardware locked Software

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Most programs nowadays use the registry.
    You might find a configuration file or .ini in the POS folder. Could also be a hidden file.
    Do a search in windows for "ini". The configuration could be in the /Windows folder or /Windows/system32 folder.

I am surprised you didn't find any reference to the POS program in the registry.

Way out suggestion...... Did you check the SQL server for a (hidden) table that might store configuration info?

I believe the software is locked in the sql server database in a file named "sysconfig" and the key is named "sysconfigkey" I have 3 INI files in the POS program and they appear to be graphical. Here is one:

[Graphic Import Filters]
    Windows Bitmap(.BMP)=tx13_bmp.flt,bmp
    Tagged Image Format(.TIF)=tx13_tif.flt,tif
    Windows Metafile(.WMF)=tx13_wmf.flt,wmf
    Portable Network Graphics(.PNG)=tx13_png.flt,png
    JPEG File Interchange Format(.JPG, .JPEG)=tx13_jpg.flt,jpg
    Graphics Interchange Format(.GIF)=tx13_gif.flt,gif
    [Graphic Export Filters]
    Windows Bitmap(.BMP)=tx13_bmp.flt,bmp
    Windows Metafile(.WMF)=tx13_wmf.flt,wmf
    Portable Network Graphics(.PNG)=tx13_png.flt,png
    JPEG File Interchange Format(.JPG, .JPEG)=tx13_jpg.flt,jpg

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.