Mike3D is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Can't connect to WIn XP From Win 7.

Hi

I have this problem. I created to ms access files, one a front end and the other for a back end for a company. The back end database is on a server running window XP, and most of the other computers in the company are XP too. The problem is that one of the machine is running windows 7, and its telling me that it does not have access to the server. I dont think that it is a problem with my database but the problem between the different windows systems.

Can any one help, please?

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You are right, it is unlikely to be a MS Access problem. This a LAN security or connectivity issue.

You verify this way: Create a simple .TXT file on the same location on the server, and see if the Win 7 machine can read the TXT file. If so, then Access may be the problem. If not, then Access has nothing to do with it.

Also, you can have a different person - on who can normally access the database - log onto the Win 7 machine. If they can get there, but the normal user of the Win 7 can't, then it's his personal security access, not the operating system.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You definitely want to see if you can find a .TXT file through Windows Explorer.

I don't know how you have your file sharing set up but it is worth taking a look at the Network Discovery setting on the W7 machine's "Network Security Settings"

I have never used XP as a server and being a server to W7 could have its own nuances. If it is not XP Pro you might research challenges of using XP as a server. It really depends on a lot of things weather it matters. File sharing does not have to be complicated.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.