RERM is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Send automatic email alerts from access

Hello,

I have absolutely no programming experience and I am trying to set up a database that sends automatic e-mail alerts to a number of people. I intend to use access to automatically alert people of certain tasks that need to be completed at an industrial plant in order to comply with certain regulations. For example, I want to set up access to send weekly and quarterly e-mails to plant operators as reminders that he/she needs to measure tanks, fill in record logs, etc. I am not sure if access is the best option to do this because as of now, I only have two very short tables in my access database. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access can do this but 'automatic' still requires initiation of an event. Can be a button Click or form Open or Autoexec macro when database opens.

Procedure would open a recordset of addresses that meet criteria. Loop through the recordset and send email.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RERM is offline Novice
    Thank you Super Moderator. I just set up a macro that used the function EMaildatabaseobject and it sent the e-mail when I run it. At least I made some progress!
    Is there anyway to set up the alerts to be sent at specific times? I understand that I would need to have access opened to be able to do send the alerts, but perhaps there is a way to set up the alert to be sent once a week (say, every monday), or as soon as the program is opened when the time has passed.
    Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    I accomplish similar action by code behind a form (MainMenu) that opens on default when database opens.

In the form Open event, code checks for day of week and executes if condition met.

If Weekday(Date) = 2 Then
    End If

The actual code will be more complicated because probably don't want to run procedure more than once a day so if the db is opened and closed several times, that will have to be dealt with.

Is this a multi-user database? Also probably don't want this procedure to run for everyone.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RERM is offline Novice
    This is a very good point that I did not think about. The database will be managed only by one person. I intend to give this file to the operator of the plant to run his operation.

I am having some difficulties understanding the first part of your response as I don't have a lot of experience in this area and therefore I don't know the technical jargon. Could you please be a little more specific on the respond so that I can understand it. Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't know what to clarify. If you need to better understand VBA, start with review of http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010341717.aspx

Also need to understand basic programming concepts. The If Then structure I show is common to any programming language, just the actual vocabulary and syntax might vary.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.