JeanieMB is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Network Database written in Access 2003 but unable to open with Access 2013

I apologize if this subject has been covered in another thread but I couldn't find the same situation.
    We are running a network Access 2003 db. The only users with a full copy of Access 2003 on their PCs are the two Database administrators. All other users in the network have been opening it with Access 2003 Runtime. As PCs were replaced and Access 2007 & 2010 came standard with the Office packs, I was able to keep access to the db by making the newer versions unavailable (Control Panel>Programs>Change). But Friday I set up a new PC that came with Office 2013 and I cannot make Access 2013 unavailable so the User cannot access the 2003 db. I don't want to remove Access 2013 completely because we do need to upgrade to a newer version. But we are a small company and can't do it right now. I am concerned that if I convert a db for this user, then they won't get any of the changes made by other users or it will affect the other users access to the database.
    I have scoured the forum and internet and everyone's solution seems to be to convert it - either to a newer version of Access or SQL. Is there no other way to make this work?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is this a split database?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I am not sure what you mean.

June7 is offline VIP
    Conventional practice when there are multiple users is to 'split' the db into front and back ends. BE has data tables, FE is the user interface. The BE can stay as an mdb file and the FE can be designed in whatever version you want so if you have to maintain two versions (2003 and 2013), both will be able to connect to the BE tables.

Are you saying Access 2013 runtime won't open the 2003 db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I didn't try Access 2013 runtime because the PC came with full version of Access 2013 already installed. We have a programmer that setup the database but I run the run time installations on the computers in our network. What you are saying above about front end and back end sounds familiar but if you are keeping backends in two different versions, doesn't that mean that Users won't be accessing the same database and therefore won't be getting the same up-to-date information? I did try to open our database directly from Access 2013 but I received the error message about trying to open an older version & it wouldn't open up.

June7 is offline VIP
    I am not suggesting two versions of the backend, only one. The frontend could be different versions, all connecting to the same backend file and therefore accessing the same data.

I have not worked with Access 2013, don't want it.

I have also never worked with runtime. Are you saying users all open the same file that resides on network server? I have done this with one simple db and so far it works but it is not the recommended approach with multiple users.

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post

don't want it.
    Amen, However knowing my company.. it will be 2023 before I have to worry about it.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I checked with our programmer and he has heard of what you are talking about with an Access 2007 database and having Access 2007, 2010 or 2013 as the front end. However, our database is designed for multi-users at one time and our database is in Access 2003.

Thanks for the suggestion though. It's beginning to sound like we will need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

June7 is offline VIP
    The backend can remain an Access 2003 (mdb) file and the Access 2003/2007/2010 frontends will all be able to link to the mdb backend, I assume 2013 can as well. It is a workaround for mixed version users.

Windows XP Access 2003
    We have Access 97/2000/2003 vintage workgroup-based security as part of the application and I know that workgroup based security disappeared with Access 2007 and newer. Would this be an issue trying to use a different program to access the database?

June7 is offline VIP
    Maybe, I never used workgroup-based security and never dealt with any db set up with one, not even any posted to forum as far as I know. I don't know if splitting the db will resolve issue or open a new can of worms for users still running 2003 with workgroup security.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks very much for all of your input...it's sounding more and more like we will have no choice but to convert our database to a newer version.

June7 is offline VIP
    Maybe just remove the workgroup feature from the 2003 db. How difficult would that be? Would that make the non-split db unworkable? I do have one extremely simple non-split db with multiple users and it seems to work even when more than one user at a time opens the same file but there is no code (macro nor VBA) in that db. However, as stated, this is not recommended for multi-user database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.